Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

What would be the best approach to develop a transactional website in aem ?

Level 1

Dear All,

We are trying to build a omnichannel platform with multiple integration points in AEM.  We would like to hear back from experts , what could be best done to solutionalize such a problem statement in AEM sites. Please consider the below points .

1. Multiple integration points . To and Fro data flow from all integration points.

2. Security to be given high importance.

3. Can aem services be considered , or an orchestration layer is a must in such use cases.

Please revert back in case any other inputs are required .

5 Replies

Level 1

Hi All,

Can someone help here, I have the same query.

Regards,

Taniya Sharma

Level 10

Hey Subrat - as discussed over chat, when using AEM, you have to start by using AEM technologies, such as editable templates, HTL, and other best practices. For anyone that wants to learn AEM best practices, start here:

Getting Started with AEM Sites - WKND Tutorial

As you build out your solutions, you should also consider the other services offered with Experience Cloud.  Over the coming weeks, we will be releasing new content that shows you how to integrate AEM with other Experience Cloud Services - like Adobe I/O.

For transactional functionality too - look at We Retail as an example. As you can see, this is an example of a transactional site, where you can buy goods.

Employee Advisor

This is a very broad requirement, and there might be a lot of valid answers to it. On the one hand side AEM might the right tool for it, on the other hand side you might state that AEM is not designed to act as an integration platform, and that there are other products out there which are better suited for that case.

Please be more specific. I am especially interested in the role you want AEM to play in that scenario.

Jörg

Level 1

Hi Jorg,

Our usecase is to create a omnichannel platform, wherein mobile channel will not only consume content authored in AEM, but also services exposed in AEM. AEM would act as an integration platform for the web and also needs to expose services for interaction with the third party systems for mobile.

Employee Advisor

You plan to use AEM as content platform which also offers a number of services to the visitors of this platform? And these services are implemented by other backend services?

Yes, AEM can do that. But before going into details of the implementation I would definitely run some workshops and discuss the architectural questions, for example:

* Can you run these backend services side-by-side to AEM, and let the endusers contact these services directly? Or is it required that AEM acts as a frontend for these backend-services?

* Authentication, authorization, server-side sessions?

* What is the role of the content authors? Should they be able to move placeholders for these integrations to a page, re-arrange them etc?

* and a few more.

You should work through all of these aspects carefully, because you seem to build a non-traditional AEM architecture. And in that case a standard AEM architecture might not suffice.