Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

What is package filter used for? packaging export or packaging import?

Level 1

Hi,

I read document's from : https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-3/administer/content/package-manager.html#Package Filters,

It says "Filters identify the repository nodes to include in the package. "

Now I have doubts about the package filter.

I know when I create a package using the package manager, I have to specify a filter to that package for specific file to export.

My Question:

What happens to the filter when I do a package importation / package installation ?

Can I delete the file /META-INF/vault/filter.xml in .zip for a installation?

NOTE:

This issue is related to when combine CQ filter (include/exclude) with Maven resource include/exclude in a maven-cq project.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

- When you install a package, you basically overwrite(default behavior) all path(filter) includes in the package definition. If you want to change package merge technique, you can do it indicating in advance properties that you wanna merge the content from the package and existing in the case of conflict.

- the filter.xml can not be deleted from the zip, all those files are necessary to install correctly

With maven, you normally build and deploy the apps(all packages generated during the build process) and each package has been generating thru each Maven plugins which also contains their own configuration(filter, and other more advanced configurations).

You also have to  carefully manage what kinds of thing include in your maven plugins, for example,  site and dam definition which it normally used for the first deployment(first stage of the project) but after that, you NEVER have to use your normal app build otherwise you blow up all existing content(you should separate thru definition maven profile to separate each part of your application such as service, design, dam, site, etc.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 4

- When you install a package, you basically overwrite(default behavior) all path(filter) includes in the package definition. If you want to change package merge technique, you can do it indicating in advance properties that you wanna merge the content from the package and existing in the case of conflict.

- the filter.xml can not be deleted from the zip, all those files are necessary to install correctly

With maven, you normally build and deploy the apps(all packages generated during the build process) and each package has been generating thru each Maven plugins which also contains their own configuration(filter, and other more advanced configurations).

You also have to  carefully manage what kinds of thing include in your maven plugins, for example,  site and dam definition which it normally used for the first deployment(first stage of the project) but after that, you NEVER have to use your normal app build otherwise you blow up all existing content(you should separate thru definition maven profile to separate each part of your application such as service, design, dam, site, etc.