Expand my Community achievements bar.

Visibility of workflow instance for service account using resourceResolverFactory.getServiceResourceResolver()

Level 1

Hi community,

I am having an issue with the visibility my service account has on running workflow instances.

I am trying to write a scheduler that will check for running content approval workflows being idle for more than x days and notify their initiator.

This is on AEM 6.1 so I am using resourceResolverFactory.getServiceResourceResolver(p). I've created a system user and mapped it with a service name and my bundle id in the Sling Service User Mapping amendment config.

So far all good, my code gets the session as expected. I want to use the the WorkflowService to manipulate instances and check metadata so I am passing the session to getWorkflowSession() like such:

WorkflowSession workflowSession = workflowService.getWorkflowSession(session);

This is OK as well but the problem I have tis that this session is not able to "see" the running instances. I am understanding that the service account (system user) has to have sufficient privileges on the right nodes to manipulate them but I've tried everything I could think of in terms of ACL up to "allow jcr:all" for the service account user on /etc/workflow. 

Just for the sake of knowing where the issue was coming from, I switched the way I am getting the session to use the deprecated 

repository.loginAdministrative(null)

and of course this works. I see the right number of running instances and I am able to get the workflow objects.

So my question is: Is there a magical special place I should open permissions to for my system user so it sees running instances like an admin would?

Thanks guys.

2 Replies

Level 1

I was poking around on this forum and found that issue that seems to be somehow related

Quick update: as mentioned in this similar issue, if I add my service account to the administrators group, it works and it is able to see the workflow instances. 

Obviously, that is not what should be done but I felt it was a valuable information to this issue. It definitely seems like a permission issue but some help on figuring out what has to be granted where would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Thanks!

Level 5

I am experiencing all the same issues, when I add the service user to the administrators group it works. Do you have any idea what permission it is causing it to work?

Greetings

Jeroen