Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Version Management

Former Community Member

Hi,

Using AEM 6.2.

I've seen in the docs discussions about versions available in the JCR, being able to switch to previous versions, etc.

Is there any formal version management environment? (like perforce for example, or anywhere close to that)

I'm assuming we need to manage this by creating packages daily, and documenting what the package contains, etc. Just wondering if there's a better way than this.

Joel

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

that would be great help to the AEM community 

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Level 10

Depending on the content - AEM helps with content versions. For example - digital assets versions - see https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-0/author/assets/managing-assets-touch-ui/versioning-assets.html

Former Community Member

Thanks. I think we are looking for something more sophisticated than that.

My co-worker found an integration environment between Eclipse and TFS that we think may solve this, with just a bit more overhead.

I'll update this post with what he finds.

Correct answer by
Level 10

that would be great help to the AEM community 

Employee Advisor

Hi,

AEM utilizes the versioning features of JCR. It provides basic features, but of course no features one would expect from a VCS which handles source code (I cannot imagine a case, where branching and merging would be required in the context of a page).

So, what's the usecase you want to solve?

Jörg

Former Community Member

Versioning similar to CVS/Perforce. UseCases: Moving to a later or earlier version, Labels (Versioning a group of files/directories so you can grab all source at a spot in time), comparing versions, merging.

Just the same source control that has been there in dev environments since the dawn of time.

Employee Advisor

Hi,

AEM isn't a version control system. It offers basic features on a page level (going back and forward, comparing, labeling), but no merging or handling of groups of pages.

Jörg

Former Community Member

Thanks Very much Jörg.

Yes we are looking into a hybrid approach involving Eclipse and TFS.

Appreciate the help.

Joel

Employee Advisor

Hi,

are you talking about versioning content or about versioning sourcecode? Your reference to Eclipse and TFS make me think, that you are talking of code, while I always thought of content.

Jörg

Former Community Member

Yes I should have clarified. Source code. I jump between Eclipse and AEM, and sometimes forget that.

-Joel