Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Using AEM to get Dynamic content

Level 2

Hello,

After reading about AEM , I figure out that AEM is system for building, managing and deploying commercial websites and related services.

My question is can we have web application ( develop using may be spring and deployed on application server ) which will connect to API / services hosted in AEM which will return back dynamic content.

So will use AEM to control / maintain some of dynamic data and create and host entire site on AEM.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

Yes, Scott is right. In AEM, you need to work with  Sling API's and OSGi as Backend and HTL in frontend.

Also, if you new to AEM, See this - Getting Started with AEM Sites - WKND Tutorial

And  - Getting Started with AEM-Sites  - Here you see All Adobe HELPX articles, GEMS Session, Ask the community sessions and Videos to get started.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks,

Ratna Kumar.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 10

Yes - your assumption is correct. However - when working with AEM, you do not use Java EJB, Spring MVC (including annotations like @autowire) etc,

When developing with AEM, you use Sling APIs and OSGi bundles (that have similar annotations to Spring - but they are Sling based annotations) that contain your services - like how a Spring based app contains backed services that use Spring-based annotations.

For the frond end, its best practice to write HTL script that display data returns from backend Java. This is how AEM works - you can use OOTB components (like Core Components) and build AEM custom components to meet your business requirements using HTL and Sling Models, Sling Servlets, etc.

As you are new to AEM, i recommend that you start with this end to end tutorial and do all 6 parts. It will give you a much deeper understanding of how to develop on AEM.

Getting Started with AEM Sites - WKND Tutorial

Also - see this Getting Started thread.

Hope this helps...

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

Yes, Scott is right. In AEM, you need to work with  Sling API's and OSGi as Backend and HTL in frontend.

Also, if you new to AEM, See this - Getting Started with AEM Sites - WKND Tutorial

And  - Getting Started with AEM-Sites  - Here you see All Adobe HELPX articles, GEMS Session, Ask the community sessions and Videos to get started.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks,

Ratna Kumar.

Level 2

Hi Scott, thanks for reply . I understand When developing with AEM, will have to use Sling APIs and OSGi bundles.

But solution which I'm looking for is , lets say I have existing application which is lets say developed using different technology ( lets assume spring ) and deployed on different application server.. For some of the pages from that app, I would like the content to be pulled from AEM. So something like, Will create SlingAPI which will read from JCR and return data inform of Json / HTML.

So in this case, I will not manage complete site using AEM whereas only few pages I will manage , maintain using AEM.

Application ( Hosted on lets say tomcat )  ------- > API ( Deployed on AEM ) to get dynamic data.

Is this feasible ?

Level 4

Hello Chetan, you may take a look at Content fragments and Caas (AEM's way towards being a  Headless CMS)

Adobe Experience Manager Help | Getting Started with AEM Content Services

Regards,

AMN