Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Upgrade/Migrate AEM 6.1 to AEM 6.3

Community Advisor

We are planning to move to AEM 6.3 So I want to discuss below two approaches which one to choose ?

1. Upgrade existing repository (6.1 oak 1.2.11 ) to AEM 6.3.

2. Install fresh AEM 6.3 and then deploy code followed by content migration.

Considering facts that we have almost 70GB of content including dam.

/Brijesh Yadav

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Yes,  You can use CRX2OAK for content migration between oak repo also.

Quoting from docs-

" It can be used to migrate data from older CQ versions based on Apache Jackrabbit 2 to Oak, and it can also be used to copy data between Oak repositories."

Thanks

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Community Advisor

Does anyone have any input here ?

Community Advisor

Thanks Hemant.

I wan to go with fresh install and if i am not wrong CRX2Oak Migration Tool (Using the CRX2Oak Migration Tool ) also helpful for content migration from 6.1(oak 1.2.11) to 6.3 ?

/Brijesh Yadav

Correct answer by
Level 10

Yes,  You can use CRX2OAK for content migration between oak repo also.

Quoting from docs-

" It can be used to migrate data from older CQ versions based on Apache Jackrabbit 2 to Oak, and it can also be used to copy data between Oak repositories."

Thanks

Level 10

WHen you deploy your apps and code from 6.1 to 6.3  - you may need to rebuild them too as what worked on AEM 6.1 may not work on 6.3 without rebuilding and using UBER 6.3 JAR file etc.

Community Advisor

Thanks everyone for your suggestions

Level 2

Hi,

we are also planning to migrate from AEM 6.1 SP1 to AEM 6.3. We are thinking of setting up fresh AEM 6.3 and migrate content then. But we have the need to keep and migrate the versions. Is this possible? Does anyone have experience with this scenario?

Thx

Level 8

Create a replica of existing AEM6.1 and do an inplace upgrade to 6.3. This way you should have both available. AEM6.1 existing instance and AEM6.1(replica) inplace upgrade to AEM6.3

Level 2

Thanks, well an inplace upgrade is possible, of course. Our consideration was that since we did always inplace upgrade starting with CQ 5.4, it might be a good idea to start from scratch and maybe leave old stuff from older versions that is not in use anymore behind us...

Community Advisor

lutzu70088640​ versions can also be migrate using  "Version Store Options" parameter CRX2OAK migration tool
Using the CRX2Oak Migration Tool

/Brijesh

Level 1

Hi,
What do you mean by 'them' in "You may need to rebuild them too"?