Expand my Community achievements bar.

Don’t miss the AEM Skill Exchange in SF on Nov 14—hear from industry leaders, learn best practices, and enhance your AEM strategy with practical tips.
SOLVED

trying to install CQ author instance ?

Level 5

java -jar cq-author-p4502.jar
Loading quickstart properties: default
Loading quickstart properties: instance
Low-memory action set to fork
Using 32bit VM settings, min.heap=768MB, min permgen=192MB, default fork arguments=[-Xmx768m, -XX:MaxPermSize=192m]
**** WARNING: insufficent heap memory ******************************************
The JVM reports 247 MB but we recommend at least 768 MB +/- 20
Use your JVM's heap size option (like -Xmx768M) to set that size.
Will fork a JVM to get enough memory.
********************************************************************************
**** WARNING: insufficent PermGen memory ***************************************
The JVM MBean:Perm Gen reports 64 MB but we recommend at least 192 MB +/- 20
Use your JVM's PermGen size option (like -XX:MaxPermSize=192M) to set that size.
********************************************************************************
Available memory below specified limits and low-memory action set to fork, will fork to get enough memory
Preparing to fork JVM, OS name=Linux, isWindows=false
Forking JVM: [/usr/java/jdk1.7.0_09/jre/bin/java, -Xmx768m, -XX:MaxPermSize=192m, -jar, /home/author/cq-author-p4502.jar, -nofork, -pt, CHILD]
Using 32bit VM settings, min.heap=768MB, min permgen=192MB, default fork arguments=[-Xmx768m, -XX:MaxPermSize=192m]
**** WARNING: insufficent heap memory ******************************************
The JVM reports 742 MB but we recommend at least 768 MB +/- 20
The JVM MBean:Perm Gen reports a maximum size of 192 MB, meets our expectation of 192 MB +/- 20
Available memory below specified limits and low-memory action set to fork, will fork to get enough memory
Not forking JVM as -nofork option is set
Setting properties from filename '/home/author/cq-author-p4502.jar'
Option '-quickstart.server.port' set to '4502' from filename cq-author-p4502.jar
Verbose option not active, closing stdin and redirecting stdout and stderr
Redirecting stdout to /home/author/crx-quickstart/logs/stdout.log
Redirecting stderr to /home/author/crx-quickstart/logs/stderr.log

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Mahesh,

You can probably try this:

java -Xms4096m -Xmx4096m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=1089 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -jar cq-author-p4502.jar -nofork

This worked for me.

I am setting maximum and minimum memory allotted to CQ Author instance to be 4GB, which you can modify as per your needs.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Mahesh,

You can probably try this:

java -Xms4096m -Xmx4096m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=1089 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -jar cq-author-p4502.jar -nofork

This worked for me.

I am setting maximum and minimum memory allotted to CQ Author instance to be 4GB, which you can modify as per your needs.

Level 10

In another thread -- I posted a response:

http://help-forums.adobe.com/content/adobeforums/en/experience-manager-forum/adobe-experience-manage...

One issue may be your machine's Heap space is not adequate:

WARNING: insufficent heap memory

Please keep your questions on same subject in the same thread.

Thxs!

Level 5

i hope i have sufficent heap memory

[root@localhost author]# free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          3035        147       2887          0          0         39
-/+ buffers/cache:        107       2927
Swap:         1992          0       1992

Level 10

This part of the log file suggests that you have a memory issue:

The JVM reports 247 MB but we recommend at least 768 MB +/- 20

Level 5

[root@localhost author]# java -XX:MaxPermSize=192m -Xmx768M -jar cq-author-p4502.jar
The JVM MBean:Perm Gen reports a maximum size of 192 MB, meets our expectation of 192 MB +/- 20
Preparing to fork JVM, OS name=Linux, isWindows=false
Forking JVM: [/usr/java/jdk1.7.0_09/jre/bin/java, -Xmx768m, -XX:MaxPermSize=192m, -jar, /home/author/cq-author-p4502.jar, -nofork, -pt, CHILD]
Not forking JVM as -nofork option is set
Setting properties from filename '/home/author/cq-author-p4502.jar'
Option '-quickstart.server.port' set to '4502' from filename cq-author-p4502.jar
Verbose option not active, closing stdin and redirecting stdout and stderr
Redirecting stdout to /home/author/crx-quickstart/logs/stdout.log
Redirecting stderr to /home/author/crx-quickstart/logs/stderr.log
Forked JVM process exited with exit code 1
Main JVM process exiting
MAIN process: shutdown hook
MAIN process: exiting

Level 7

From the http://dev.day.com/docs/en/cq/current/getting_started/download_and_startworking.html
If using the command line, for a 32bit VM type:
java -Xmx1024M -jar cq5-author-p4502.jar

Level 5

java -Xmx1024M -jar cq5-author-p4502.jar
Error: Unable to access jarfile cq5-author-p4502.jar

when i execute this command it is creating crx-quickstart directory , there are only 3 folders created "app,conf and logs".

Employee

Have a look at this blogpost regarding doing an installation from the command-line:

http://experiencedelivers.adobe.com/cemblog/en/experiencedelivers/2012/04/installing-cq5-from-comman...

My first guess is that it is either too low mem or disk.

--

Feike