Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Translating site pages via import/export process

Level 2

Hello All,

We need to implement below mentioned translation process for our website..

• Export site pages in xml or any other format eg: json,csv etc.
  • Manually translate values in english to some other language
  • Import files back into AEM to update pages with translated values.

Really appreciate if can get some suggestions best way to implement this or if there is any tool available to export/import pages with all metadata.

Thanks,

Faizaan Shaikh

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Here is input from the Eng team....

Hi Scott,

This is achievable with the OOTB translation features. The steps are listed below, they should work with AEM 6.1 and later versions. Screenshots are from 6.3.

1. In Cloud Services > Translation Integration, create a translation configuration that uses Human Translation as the translation workflow, and leave the translation provider option as blank (see top screenshot).
  2. Associate the site to use the newly created translation configuration, by opening the site's properties, then going to Cloud Services, Cloud Service Configurations > Translation Integration, and selecting the configuration created in the previous step.
  3. Create a translation project for the translatable content.
  4. Open the translation project, and in the Translation Job tile > dropdown, select Export (see bottom screenshot). This will download a compressed file to the local machine. This compressed file contains xml files and any asset files associated with the web pages that are included in the translation job.
  5. Translate the xml and asset files.
  6. Recompress the xml and asset files, use any filename you’d like.

Back in the Translation project / translation job tile, select Import, and select the compressed file you created in step 6.

AATr.png

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Administrator

smacdonald2008 Any thoughts?

~kautuk

Kautuk Sahni

Correct answer by
Level 10

Here is input from the Eng team....

Hi Scott,

This is achievable with the OOTB translation features. The steps are listed below, they should work with AEM 6.1 and later versions. Screenshots are from 6.3.

1. In Cloud Services > Translation Integration, create a translation configuration that uses Human Translation as the translation workflow, and leave the translation provider option as blank (see top screenshot).
  2. Associate the site to use the newly created translation configuration, by opening the site's properties, then going to Cloud Services, Cloud Service Configurations > Translation Integration, and selecting the configuration created in the previous step.
  3. Create a translation project for the translatable content.
  4. Open the translation project, and in the Translation Job tile > dropdown, select Export (see bottom screenshot). This will download a compressed file to the local machine. This compressed file contains xml files and any asset files associated with the web pages that are included in the translation job.
  5. Translate the xml and asset files.
  6. Recompress the xml and asset files, use any filename you’d like.

Back in the Translation project / translation job tile, select Import, and select the compressed file you created in step 6.

AATr.png

Level 2

Thanks kautuksahni​ / smacdonald2008​ - really appreciate your inputs, will give it a try.

Level 2

smacdonald2008​ Hi Scott, I am trying to import the translated file via code an I am stuck. It will be great if you can give me some pointers. I tried using the AEM OOTB resource type POST servlet to post the data, but it gives 403(http://localhost:4502/content/projects/test/jcr:content/dashboard/gadgets/translationjob with form param :operation, :translationJobPath)

Level 2

The exported files have currently a custom XML format. Is there any reasons why they're not in xliff? Because xliff is at least the well-known format the content translators already use in AEM translator.

Is xliff support for translation projects in the roadmap of future AEM versions?

Level 1

Hi,

I am able to export the content in XLIF Format, however when I am trying to import it back after manual translation of content it shows this message in the notification.

1469083_pastedImage_0.png

Any suggestion on what I am missing here ?

Thanks in advance!

Level 1

Hi Scott,

I tried the solution you have given but i am not getting the Page content in XML format but some properties in it.

Thanks,

Level 1

At least as of AEM 6.3 you need to install the XLIFF connector from the Marketing Exchange. It runs an OKAPI process to convert the AEM XML to XLIFF for export. If I recall correctly, it can be used for manual export or as an option before invoking a TMS connector.