Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Touch UI RTE In Dialog editing (having more features like we used to in Classic UI)

Level 2

By following this Adobe Helpx Article, I manage to create a Touch UI RTE for in place editing. However, the in-dialog editing is missing.

By doing minor changes (below screenshot) on the package (TouchUI_RTE_customize) provided from the said article, I manage to create the in-dialog editing

Now there's one issue I realised (below screenshot), there isn't a way to enable more RTE plugin's features as we always do in Classic UI. Or at least, I can't find any official tutorial / document available from Adobe.

I bumped into one of the reply from this post (http://help-forums.adobe.com/content/adobeforums/en/experience-manager-forum/adobe-experie nce-manager.topic.html/forum__ujfo-hi_i_can_notc.html

smacdonald2008 wrote...

See this AEM doc topic 

https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-1/administer/operations/page-authoring/rich-text-editor.html

Not all the classic RTE features are available in Touch UI. 

Once I looked into the AEM doc, I found out this statement for editing in a Dialog for Touch UI: "Not required as the functionality is covered by In-place/Full-screen editing."

My questions:

1. Assuming the above statement and what smacdonald2008 replied are the same thing, may I know if having more RTE plugin features (like what Touch UI In-place/Full-screen did) in Touch UI in Dialog editing is not what Adobe AEM going to support?

2. In anyway we can request to have this supported in a feature release or a patch in near future? 

These are the valid use cases that we have for our clients which required the in dialog editing (with full features like in place editing or Classic UI in dialog):

• We have more than one RTE in page properties and not every content populated in the RTE will be display on page. Thus, there's no way for the Author to edit those content in Touch UI without in-dialog editing.
  • We have a component with multiple tabs (e.g. each tab will have one RTE), or in a multi-composite dialog. The content populated in the RTE is not displayed on screen as straight forward as those presented in Geometrixx as well as the Helpx Article mentioned above. Thus, in place editing is in no way helpful to the content Author.

I agree that some of them could be design decision that can be fixed by redesign how RTE should be used in new project. But for on going project on AEM 6.1 platform using Touch UI or Classic UI (upgrading to Touch UI), this introduce additional risk and cost to the project. Not to forget, for certain client they really like how the RTE is being used in in-dialog editing and they are so familiar with it. In such a situation, it seems to be a show stopper for the client to move forward to using Touch UI which they would like to have it after they knew the pretty of it.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

Yes, you right, Only in In-PlaceEditing only RTE will work for accessing in full screen mode. It won't work for Dialog level. It won't allow you to open full screen. This is Bug.

You can raise the Adobe Day support ticket for the same: https://daycare.day.com/home/createaticket.html

Thanks,
Ratna Kumar.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 10

Assuming the above statement and what smacdonald2008 replied are the same thing

Yes - that statement i made was based on the info in the AEM docs. 

"there isn't a way to enable more RTE plugin's features"

Most of the RTE features are covered in the helpx article. However - to view all features of the RTE, you have to click the full screen option. Then you have access to RTE plug-ins like  subscripts

The screenshot you showed of the Touch UI RTE is not full screen option. Therefore- you are no seeing all of the RTE plug-ins. 

You second question - "In anyway we can request to have this supported in a feature release or a patch in near future? "

You can log a ticket to request a feature enhancement.  

Level 10

Here is a screen shot of the RTE features that you are used to in classic:

As stated in my other reply - you need to click full screen mode. 

Level 10

Here is a screen shot of the RTE features that you are used to in classic:

As stated in my other reply - you need to click full screen mode. 

Level 2

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have the same (for in place editing) in fullscreen as shown in your screenshot. However, I only have the same limited sets of features for in-dialog editing. See below screenshot.

Here's the modified version of TouchUI_RTE_customize package for your kind perusal.

Noted on the ticket to day care for a feature enhancement. Can I also double confirm if what's mentioned above (in-dialog full screen) is a bug or something I did wrongly which hopefully you can help to point out from the package provided.

Level 10

I believe this is by design - to access all RTE features- you need full screen. However - log the ticket for product enhancement. I will look at your package on Tues. 

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

Yes, you right, Only in In-PlaceEditing only RTE will work for accessing in full screen mode. It won't work for Dialog level. It won't allow you to open full screen. This is Bug.

You can raise the Adobe Day support ticket for the same: https://daycare.day.com/home/createaticket.html

Thanks,
Ratna Kumar.