Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Starting System Components Takes Forever

Level 1

Any time I install a package, the starting system components dialog stays up for a really long time. Sometimes up to 20 minutes. Is this normal? I am following a guide on Pluralsight and the guy doing the video doesn't have this same problem. Should it be taking this long to start the system components? Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

That's not usual. Steps to for analysis:

* determine the time when the package deployment starts and when the dialog is turned off. This is the time you waited.

* identify the relevant log entries (error.log) including their timestamps which fall into this time.

* Identify if there are large gaps (e.g. > 30 seconds) between these logfiles entries which indicate no activity or a long-running activity.

* when you repeat this exercise doing another deployment, do a few threaddumps (e.g. using http://localhost:4502/system/console/status-threaddump), find out the active threads and compare these threads over the course of these threaddumps? Are the same threads always showing up as active? Is the stack indicating larger activity (possible the same?)

Which AEM version are you using?

HTH,

Jörg

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 10

Many factors invoked in the speed and performance of AEM.

See - Performance Optimization

However - 20 mins to install a package in not normal. Are you seeing any errors in the log file?

Level 1

No errors in the log file. Just a lot of INFO and WARN messages. The package installs fine, but it sits on "Starting System Components" for a really long time.

Level 1

It's a local install running Author.

Level 10

See this KB - it may help. If your computer is low memory that can explain the time too.

Common product issues

Employee

Can you make sure you install the latest service pack for your version of AEM?

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

That's not usual. Steps to for analysis:

* determine the time when the package deployment starts and when the dialog is turned off. This is the time you waited.

* identify the relevant log entries (error.log) including their timestamps which fall into this time.

* Identify if there are large gaps (e.g. > 30 seconds) between these logfiles entries which indicate no activity or a long-running activity.

* when you repeat this exercise doing another deployment, do a few threaddumps (e.g. using http://localhost:4502/system/console/status-threaddump), find out the active threads and compare these threads over the course of these threaddumps? Are the same threads always showing up as active? Is the stack indicating larger activity (possible the same?)

Which AEM version are you using?

HTH,

Jörg