Expand my Community achievements bar.

Don’t miss the AEM Skill Exchange in SF on Nov 14—hear from industry leaders, learn best practices, and enhance your AEM strategy with practical tips.
SOLVED

Sightly rendering problem - ul inside a data-sly-list, included via data-sly-resource, generated unwanted markup elements.

Level 4

I am seeing some unexpected markup generated from 2 sightly files.

The Sightly file that includes data-sly-resource and the included Sightly file render ok, until a <ul> element is appears in the included resource markup.  After that, repeated unwanted <a> markup elements are generated that include nothing but whitespace.

The approach is as follows, authors store the path to a number of pages to be included dynamically.  The contents of a parsys on each is the target of the data-sly-resource, e.g. /content/help/page1/jcr:content/par.html.

A snippet of the 'parent' Sightly file is as follows:
<!-- /* help points to my wcm use backing file */ -->

<div class="help-category-panel"> <ul class="help-category-list" data-sly-list.category="${help.pages}"> <li class="help-category-item"> <a class="help-category-link" ="${['#', category.escapedId] @ join = ''}"> <div data-sly-resource="${category['target']}" data-sly-unwrap></div> </a> </li> </ul> </div>

A snippet of the 'child' Sightly file is as follows:

<!-- /* helpCategory points to my wcm use backing file */ --> <span class="${['help-category-icon', helpCategory.iconClass] @ join = ' '}"></span> <p class="help-category-name">${helpCategory.label}</p> <div class="help-article-snippets" id="${helpCategory.escapedId}"> <!-- including this ul results in unexpected markup --> <ul class="help-article-snippet-list" data-sly-list.article="${helpCategory.articles}"> <li class="help-article-snippet-item"> <a href="#" class="help-article-snippet-link"> <h4 class="help-article-snippet-title">${article['snippetTitle']}</h4> <p class="help-article-snippet-text"> ${article['snippetSummary']} </p> </a> </li> </ul> </div>

A snippet of the generated markup follows; I get an unwanted <a> element - only containing whitespace - before the <a> I actually want (inside the <div class="help-category"> added by Sightly).

<li class="help-category-item"> <a class="help-category-link " href="#_content_help_page1"> </a><div class="help-category"><a class="help-category-link " href="#_content_help_page1"> <span class="help-category-icon icon-first"></span> <p class="help-category-name">Help Category 1</p> </a><div class="help-article-snippets is-hidden" id="_content_help_page1"><a class="help-category-link " href="#_content_help_page1">
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

First of all Sightly is pure server-side, no client-side at all...

Are you testing this on author or publish? If on author can you add ?wcmmode=disabled to your url to switch off all author-js things.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 8

I guess I don't understand how that <a> tag is unwanted when you've specifically included it in your component?

Also, the code you pasted is invalid.

<a class="help-category-link" ="${['#', category.escapedId] @ join = ''}">

Should that be "href="?

Level 4

Hi, thanks for the reply and help @leeasling.

Yes, apologies in editing my snippet lines (as well as missing quotes in the join clause, correction, the single quotes in the join clause are there - they just look like double quotes in my forum post) I didn't copy the href, should have been more like,

<a class="help-category-link" href="${['#', category.escapedId] @ join = ''}">

Looking at the page again today using Google Chrome's inspector, the additional unwanted <a> shows in the DOM but I've realised it's not there in the raw HTML.  So it looks like the Sightly markup is actually fine and something client-side is manipulating the markup after it's been served. 

Level 4

UPDATE Now I'm very confused! : turning on/off javascript in the browser results in different markup in the DOM, including inclusion/ exclusion of the additional div (<div class="help-category">) added by AEM.  (This additional div is in the raw HTML but not in the DOM when javascript is turned off).

So presumably it is Sightly doing some client-side manipulation once the markup has been delivered to the browser. 

The raw (desired) html:

<ul class="help-category-list"> <li class="help-category-item"> <a class="help-category-link&#x20;is-selected" href="#_content_help_page1"> <div class="help-category"> <span class="help-category-icon&#x20;icon-first"></span> <p class="help-category-name">Help Page 1</p> <div class="help-article-snippets" id="_content_help_page1"> <!-- further markup... -->

Versus the DOM (unwanted additional <a>):

<ul class="help-category-list"> <li class="help-category-item"> <a class="help-category-link is-selected" href="#_content_help_page1"> <!-- note lots of whitespace !? --> </a><div class="help-category"><a class="help-category-link is-selected" href="#_content_help_page1"> <span class="help-category-icon icon-first"></span> <p class="help-category-name">Help Page 1</p> </a><div class="help-article-snippets" id="_content_help_page1"> <!-- further markup... -->

I mentioned the <ul> in the subject line of this post as the problem (of the unwanted inital <a>) doesn't appear when the contents of the included Sightly does not include the nested <ul> in the markup.

Correct answer by
Employee

First of all Sightly is pure server-side, no client-side at all...

Are you testing this on author or publish? If on author can you add ?wcmmode=disabled to your url to switch off all author-js things.

Level 4

Thanks your help @Feike.

Yes, I realise Sightly is server-side.  

This is probably to do with me producing bad markup that is then automatically corrected by the browser:  I have an anchor with lots of html elements inside it and presumably at some point Chromium decides that's malformed html and inserts additional closing tags producing unexpected result.