Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session
SOLVED

Restricting Query Strings in dispatcher.any not working

Level 2

I want to disable any URL with query strings but allow those that don't.  The "Note:" section of Configuring Dispatcher says the following should work:

/0001 { /type "deny" /method "*" /url "/mysite/content/test/*" }

/0002 { /type "allow" /method "GET" /url "/mysite/content/test/*" }

/0003 { /type "deny" /method "GET" /url "/mysite/content/test/*" /query "*" }

When I try https://my.site.com/mysite/content/test/home.html, it is getting blocked /0003

It should work, given "If a rule contains a /query, it will only match requests that contain a query string and match the provided query pattern."

For testing purposes my /filter section only contains those 3 rules.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

It turns out there is an issue with the dispatcher version we are using.  I don't know if it effects all platforms, but it is not working correctly on 4.2.0 on IIS, x64 non-ssl version.

I tested the same exact dispatcher configuration (dispatcher.any) on the latest dispatcher (v4.2.3) and the filter rules are working correctly with query strings.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hello,

Make sure you have dispatcher version 4.1.5 or greater than 4.1.5.

Regards,

Vishu

Level 2

I should have mentioned that.  We are using 4.2.0 on IIS.  x64 non-ssl version.

Level 4

Hi,

Could you please remove the "mysite" from path and try?, you need to define only AEM path which is like /content/ , /apps/ , /etc/.

Eg :

/0001 { /type "deny" /method "*" /url "/content/test/*" }

/0002 { /type "allow" /method "GET" /url "/content/test/*" }

/0003 { /type "deny" /method "GET" /url "/content/test/*" /query "*" }

Wondering why your sample dispatcher URL looks /mysite/content/test/home.html , the best practice is always starts with /content/ like mysite.com/content/test

Thanks!

Level 2

That didn't work.  We run AEM within an application server and it's not possible to run at the root.  (We even had ACS unseccuessufully attempt to change that).  All of our /filter rules are prefixed with /mysite and we haven't had any issues since we launched the site over two years ago.

I added a fourth rule to test your suggestion.

/0004 { /type "allow" /method "GET" /url "/content/test/*" /query "a=*" }

https://my.site.com/mysite/content/test/home.html?a=test does not work.  It does work when rule 4 is:

/0004 { /type "allow" /method "GET" /url "/mysite/content/test/*" /query "a=*" }

Employee

/0029 { /type "allow" /method "GET" /url "/content/geometrixx-outdoors.html" }

/0030 { /type "deny" /method "GET" /url "/content/geometrixx-outdoors.html" /query "*" }

Above should work, however content might be getting served from cache regardless of query string attached or not

Level 1

Hi nivedtha,

I am having some doubts regarding the AEM can you please help me out

[Personal contact info removed]

Correct answer by
Level 2

It turns out there is an issue with the dispatcher version we are using.  I don't know if it effects all platforms, but it is not working correctly on 4.2.0 on IIS, x64 non-ssl version.

I tested the same exact dispatcher configuration (dispatcher.any) on the latest dispatcher (v4.2.3) and the filter rules are working correctly with query strings.