Expand my Community achievements bar.

on AEMaaCS how do I flush icons from the resources folder?

Level 7

On AEMaaCS we have released updated png logo under /etc.clientlibs/my-site/clientlibs/clientlib-site/resources/assets/logo.png. This file is cached at the dispatcher level how would we flush the AEMaaCS cache for this particular file?

Other files includes

1. /etc.clientlibs/my-site/clientlibs/clientlib-site/resources/assets/logo.png
  2. /etc.clientlibs/my-site/clientlibs/clientlib-site/resources/assets/logo.svg
  3. /etc.clientlibs/my-site/clientlibs/clientlib-site/resources/assets/icons/hammer.png
  4. /etc.clientlibs/my-site/clientlibs/clientlib-site/resources/assets/icons/spinner.gif

etc...
Thank you.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

6 Replies

Level 10

Hi @AEMWizard ,

To flush the cache for specific files like images (PNG, SVG, GIF) under /etc.clientlibs/ in AEM as a Cloud Service (AEMaaCS), you need to perform a few steps. This involves using the AEMaaCS API and dispatcher tools to invalidate the cache. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to achieve this:

Step-by-Step Guide to Flush Cache for Specific Files

1. Identify the Files to Invalidate

Identify the paths of the files that need to be invalidated in the dispatcher cache. In your case, the files are:

• /etc.clientlibs/my-site/clientlibs/clientlib-site/resources/assets/logo.png
  • /etc.clientlibs/my-site/clientlibs/clientlib-site/resources/assets/logo.svg
  • /etc.clientlibs/my-site/clientlibs/clientlib-site/resources/assets/icons/hammer.png
  • /etc.clientlibs/my-site/clientlibs/clientlib-site/resources/assets/icons/spinner.gif

2. Use the AEM Dispatcher Tools

AEM as a Cloud Service provides tools to manage the dispatcher cache. One of the key tools is the invalidate.cache API. You can use this API to invalidate specific paths.

3. Invalidating Cache Using the AEM API

You can use a POST request to invalidate the cache for the specific files. Here’s how to do it:

Using cURL

curl -X POST -u '<username>:<password>' \
     -H "Content-Type: application/json" \
     https://<aem-host>/dispatcher/invalidate.cache \
     -d '{
           "paths": [
             "/etc.clientlibs/my-site/clientlibs/clientlib-site/resources/assets/logo.png",
             "/etc.clientlibs/my-site/clientlibs/clientlib-site/resources/assets/logo.svg",
             "/etc.clientlibs/my-site/clientlibs/clientlib-site/resources/assets/icons/hammer.png",
             "/etc.clientlibs/my-site/clientlibs/clientlib-site/resources/assets/icons/spinner.gif"
           ]
         }'

Replace <aem-host> with your AEMaaCS hostname and <username>:<password> with your credentials.

Using Postman
  1. Open Postman.
  2. Create a new POST request.
  3. Set the URL to https://<aem-host>/dispatcher/invalidate.cache.
  4. Set the Authorization to Basic Auth and enter your username and password.
  5. Set the Content-Type header to application/json.
  6. In the body, use the raw JSON format:

{
  "paths": [
    "/etc.clientlibs/my-site/clientlibs/clientlib-site/resources/assets/logo.png",
    "/etc.clientlibs/my-site/clientlibs/clientlib-site/resources/assets/logo.svg",
    "/etc.clientlibs/my-site/clientlibs/clientlib-site/resources/assets/icons/hammer.png",
    "/etc.clientlibs/my-site/clientlibs/clientlib-site/resources/assets/icons/spinner.gif"
  ]
}
​

1. Send the request.

4. Verify the Cache Invalidation

After invalidating the cache, ensure that the changes are reflected:

• Check the Dispatcher Logs: Review the dispatcher logs to confirm that the invalidation requests were processed.
  • Access the Files: Access the files via the browser or use tools like curl to ensure they are served as expected.

curl -I https://<aem-host>/etc.clientlibs/my-site/clientlibs/clientlib-site/resources/assets/logo.png
​

Additional Considerations

• Automation: You can automate this process using CI/CD tools or scripts if cache invalidation is needed regularly.
  • Dispatcher Flush Agents: Ensure that your AEM publish instances are correctly configured to communicate with the dispatcher for cache invalidation.

By following these steps, you can flush the cache for specific files in AEM as a Cloud Service, ensuring that updates to your resources are immediately reflected.

Level 7

Thanks ChatGPT, I've been following you, and this is considered spamming, I am reporting you. 

You should have a word with the administrators, this is getting out of hand. It's just very disrespectful to the community... You should really stop.. Spamming is not good, and also shows us that you are not a professional because anyone can use chat GPT to post questions on the query.

Level 7

@kautuk_sahni @Jörg_Hoh , please be informed that spamming is on this Community at the moment.

Level 7

@Jörg_Hoh @arunpatidar @aanchal-sikka @Rohan_Garg @Raja_Reddy , please if you can shed some experiences here, it would be extremely helpful, thank you.!

Community Advisor

AEM Publish service has two primary caching layers, the AEMaaCS CDN and AEM Dispatcher. Assuming you don't have a custom CDN in front of the Cloud CDN, try the below steps-

1. CDN - The AEM Publish CDN is TTL (time-to-live) based, meaning that the cache life is determined by the Cache-ControlSurrogate-Control, or Expires HTTP response headers. Refer CDN Cache Life
    Furthermore, Fastly also provides an API to purge cache (Refer Fastly - Purging)
    You can configure a corresponding TTL parameter for the resources as shown below - 

<LocationMatch "^/etc\.clientlibs/.*\.(?i:json|png|gif|webp|jpe?g|svg)$">
       Header set Cache-Control "max-age=43200,stale-while-revalidate=43200,stale-if-error=43200,public" "expr=%{REQUEST_STATUS} < 400"
       Header set Age 0
    </LocationMatch>​

2. Dispatcher - Refer How to clear Dispatcher cache?
    Note - The Adobe CDN is not flushed when Dispatcher is invalidated. The Adobe-managed CDN respects TTLs and thus there is no need for it to be flushed.

If however, you don't want to change/modify the TTLs in your dispatcher configuration then you can look at creating a custom servlet which purges cache from both Dispatcher and CDN. Please refer the blog Invalidate Dispatcher and Purge Fastly CDN Cache using API

Hope this helps!