Expand my Community achievements bar.

July 31st AEM Gems Webinar: Elevate your AEM development to master the integration of private GitHub repositories within AEM Cloud Manager.
SOLVED

Number of templates should be as low as possible

Level 3

Hi All,

Could some one tell me is there any technical reason behind keeping less number of templates in AEM?

Thanks,

Shivamurthy MN

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Shivamurthy,

please review the article which explains it well[0]. IMHO it is a balance between flexibility and ease of use, you can go for a blank canvas so authors can create any type of page, or if you have an author making the same type of page 20 times a day, for example a news article, you would want to make a specific template, to make it easy for them to make the page.

The issue with too many templates is that if done poorly, as no doubt many people have seen, you end up with templates that are very similar and authors become confused as to which they should use.

Often it comes down to properly analyzing your wireframes to reduce the number of templates by looking for common structure, and then using flexible components that allow the maximum variations to be made in the content pages.

Regards,

Opkar

[0]https://adobeaemtherightway.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/how-to-reduce-the-number-of-templates-in-your-a...

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Shivamurthy,

please review the article which explains it well[0]. IMHO it is a balance between flexibility and ease of use, you can go for a blank canvas so authors can create any type of page, or if you have an author making the same type of page 20 times a day, for example a news article, you would want to make a specific template, to make it easy for them to make the page.

The issue with too many templates is that if done poorly, as no doubt many people have seen, you end up with templates that are very similar and authors become confused as to which they should use.

Often it comes down to properly analyzing your wireframes to reduce the number of templates by looking for common structure, and then using flexible components that allow the maximum variations to be made in the content pages.

Regards,

Opkar

[0]https://adobeaemtherightway.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/how-to-reduce-the-number-of-templates-in-your-a...

Level 9

In my view, there are no such rules & technical reason to avoid creating templates. It is entirely depend on design requirement. If 100's article, press release pages are to be created, it is better to create a unique template for each of them. However, from the backend point of you, you have to make sure that you don't create similar JSP's (header, footer etc) for each template unless it is necessary.

Shivamurthy MN wrote...

Hi All,

Could some one tell me is there any technical reason behind keeping less number of templates in AEM?

Thanks,

Shivamurthy MN