Level 2

Tip /
Sign in

Sign in to Community

to gain points, level up, and earn exciting badges like the new
Bedrock Mission!

Learn more

Sign in to view all badges

New developer - AEM 6.1 - Is there a document describing the relationship between "design", "component", "app" and "content" folders?

Level 2

So I'm in the process of running through tutorials on AEM 6.1, and the tutorial is fine for telling me what to do, but it doesn't really do a very good job of explaining "why" I'm doing some of the stuff. I see that I have to setup parts of my web site in "apps", "design", "components" and "content" folders in CRXDE Lite, but I don't understand why there are 4 different interrelated configurations - and how they are related to each other.

Is there a document that best describes this relationship, and explains why it is setup that way?

3 Replies

Level 10

This is the essence of AEM. 

You create your application under /apps. 

Under /apps - you can create a components folder. A component has a dialog, 

Content- such as pages - is stored under /content. 

See this white paper: Developing for Adobe® Experience Manager 

See this 1st tutorial you should do as a new developer: How to Create a Fully Featured Internet Website (this explain AEM app concepts) 

Level 10

As you go through these topicss- ask more specific questions if you need to. For example - why do i need an OSGi service?  

Level 10

Here is the answer to your question:-

Normal website is a combination of few things working together in successful manner and those are :

1. JS/CSS - Which basically contribute towards UI and JS and which be stored in /etc/design/project

2. Application code: This includes you template (/apps/template), component (/apps/component), all java code(/apps/install), system configurations(/apps/config)

3. Page Now when you create page using template and component they will be stored in /content/project

An AEM instance can have more that one website as well, so this helps to structure everything.