Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Multifield dialog limitation of authoring [AEM 6.5]

Level 6

Hi All,

We have migrated content from one platform to another.

the number of fields migrated to multifield dialog is around 3287~ where as if we open the component we can able to see the dialog till 2992~ and after that the remaining fields or content are not visible.

tushaar_srivastava_1-1709631744893.png

Does anyone faced the same issue or it seems that there could be some limitation of authoring in multifield.

if yes, then do we have any documentation of authoring limitation.

Or any suggestion to overcome from this issue.

Thanks 

@kautuk_sahni   @lukasz-m 

Solution

I would like to add one more solution to this problem is when we have a huge data set in multifield which can't be modified because of migration limitaion, and we observe the values did not showed up after some points as UI get break, 

tushaar_srivastava_2-1713431117693.png

and in error log we can see the Exception:
org.apache.sling.api.request.TooManyCallsException: /libs/granite/ui/components/coral/foundation/form/field/field.jsp

in order to resolve that we can always increase the Number of Calls per Request from ConfigMgr based on requirement.

tushaar_srivastava_3-1713431117707.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@tushaar_srivastava
First things first, I think giving a dialog with 3,000+ authored values is a very bad design approach. It will be a nightmare for authoring. I understand this came as part of migration , but I think the component should have been designed foreseeing these. If you're designing a solution where you expect thousands of values to be authored, I would request you to re-evaluate the requirements and redesign this component. Having said that, I can't speak to any dialog maximum field restriction. However, for multi-fields, we add values as child nodes. So, I believe it's more or less related to performance and the limit of child nodes. There's a similar discussion on the maximum number of child nodes possible in JCR. Please check this response from @Jörg_Hoh 

https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-experience-manager/maximum-number-of-nodes-on...

Also read his blog  here https://cqdump.joerghoh.de/2022/07/05/whats-the-maximum-size-of-a-node-in-jcr-aem/

Thanks

Veena ✌

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Community Advisor

Can you check if there are any errors in the browser console? And if so, share it here.

Esteban Bustamante

Community Advisor

Hi @tushaar_srivastava ,

There is no as such max limit for multifield data but its advisable to not use multifiled for huge set of data.
You can try to store it in excel and then upload it in DAM.
Also when you open the dialog for multifield can you inspect and check the DOM elements as what's the count there? If multifield item count is same in DOM structure then somewhere its missing from UI dialog view.

Thanks
Tarun

Level 6

Hi @TarunKumar 
Thank you for your response, that is correct but could you please guide me with a documentation where it should mention that multifiled is not advisable for huge set of data, that will help me to debug more.
Thanks

Administrator

@tushaar_srivastava  Did you find the suggestions helpful? Please let us know if more information is required. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, please share it with the community.

Kautuk Sahni

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@tushaar_srivastava
First things first, I think giving a dialog with 3,000+ authored values is a very bad design approach. It will be a nightmare for authoring. I understand this came as part of migration , but I think the component should have been designed foreseeing these. If you're designing a solution where you expect thousands of values to be authored, I would request you to re-evaluate the requirements and redesign this component. Having said that, I can't speak to any dialog maximum field restriction. However, for multi-fields, we add values as child nodes. So, I believe it's more or less related to performance and the limit of child nodes. There's a similar discussion on the maximum number of child nodes possible in JCR. Please check this response from @Jörg_Hoh 

https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-experience-manager/maximum-number-of-nodes-on...

Also read his blog  here https://cqdump.joerghoh.de/2022/07/05/whats-the-maximum-size-of-a-node-in-jcr-aem/

Thanks

Veena ✌

Thanks @VeenaVikraman  for guiding this documentation, 
Thank you @Jörg_Hoh  for such great explanantion. 

Hi @VeenaVikraman 
Also I would like to add one more solution to this problem is when we have a huge data set in multifield which can't be modified because of migration limitaion, and we observe the values did not showed up after some points as UI get break, 

tushaar_srivastava_0-1712138897668.png

and in error log we can see the Exception:
org.apache.sling.api.request.TooManyCallsException: /libs/granite/ui/components/coral/foundation/form/field/field.jsp

in order to resolve that we can always increase the Number of Calls per Request from ConfigMgr based on requirement.

tushaar_srivastava_1-1712138988512.png