Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Mock BundleContext using Junit5

Level 2

Hi All,
I have a generic method which is used for rendering a service reference.

shafali12_0-1685596850167.png

Can you guide me how can I create a Junit test method for the same?
When trying to mock BundleContext getting error as shown below:
Cannot invoke "org.osgi.framework.Bundle.getBundleContext()" because the return value of "org.osgi.framework.FrameworkUtil.getBundle(java.lang.Class)" is null

@arunpatidar @RohanGarg @MayurSatav @rawvarun @aanchal-sikka @ManviSharma @Pulkit_Jain_ @Jörg_Hoh @kautuk_sahni 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi,

To create a JUnit test method for a generic method that renders a service reference, use mocking frameworks like Mockito or PowerMockito to mock the required dependencies such as BundleContext.

When encountering the error "Cannot invoke org.osgi.framework.Bundle.getBundleContext() because the return value of org.osgi.framework.FrameworkUtil.getBundle(java.lang.Class) is null," mock the FrameworkUtil.getBundle(Class) method and specify a non-null return value to resolve the issue.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi,

To create a JUnit test method for a generic method that renders a service reference, use mocking frameworks like Mockito or PowerMockito to mock the required dependencies such as BundleContext.

When encountering the error "Cannot invoke org.osgi.framework.Bundle.getBundleContext() because the return value of org.osgi.framework.FrameworkUtil.getBundle(java.lang.Class) is null," mock the FrameworkUtil.getBundle(Class) method and specify a non-null return value to resolve the issue.

Level 2

Hi @ManviSharma,

Tried mocking as commented above:

shafali12_0-1685938551908.png

Even after mocking the FrameworkUtil.getBundle(Class), I am still getting below error:

org.mockito.exceptions.misusing.MissingMethodInvocationException:
when() requires an argument which has to be 'a method call on a mock'.
For example:
when(mock.getArticles()).thenReturn(articles);

Also, this error might show up because:
1. you stub either of: final/private/equals()/hashCode() methods.
Those methods *cannot* be stubbed/verified.
Mocking methods declared on non-public parent classes is not supported.
2. inside when() you don't call method on mock but on some other object.

Thanks