Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Missing Sidekick?

Former Community Member

Hello AEM experts, 

I am doing exercises in the chapter of "Creating Workflow Models" in AEM doc 6.2 (I was actually following an example in helpx. The example cross-referenced steps in the AEM doc therefore I was redirected to the related section in the doc ). When I was working on 

Collecting Data Using Forms and Workflows

With AEM you can associate a workflow with forms. It enables .....

Create the Product of the Day page

To create the Product of the Day page:

1. Go to the Websites console.
  2. Create the Product of the Day page below Websites/Geometrixx Outdoors Site/Enlish/Equipment with the following property values:
    Title: Product of the Day
    Template: Content Page without Sidebar
  3. Open the new page. The two columns each contain a single paragraph with no text. Add the following text to the paragraphs:
    • Left-hand column: Name:
    • Right-hand column: Designed By:
  4.  Add a Text component from the General tab of Sidekick to each of the two columns, below the existing paragraphs.
file

I found that the Sidekick was missing on my computer. In other words, I could not see this Sidekick on the "Product of the Day" on my computer. I did all that I could like clearing browser cache, deleting my other projects and even re-installed AEM completely from scratch in a different location. On the purely new-installed AEM, I did not do anything else but only created this "Product of the Day", however I still could not see the Sidekick tool bar. In this case I could not do the step 4. 

Did anybody meet this? How did you handle it? 

Thanks so much. 

David 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Those are TOuch UI views - you can tell because a Touch UI has this in the url: editor.html. Likewise - a Classic UI view has cf# in the URL. 

In Touch UI - there is no sidekick. There is a SideRail instead. See this view: 

Click the Toggle button to get the SideRail where the components are stored. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Level 10

What helpx article are you following. Are you sure you are in Classic view or are you in TOuch UI view? 

Former Community Member

hi Smacdonald, 

Thanks so much for your reply. I was working on "AEM 6.2 Forms Help / Submitting and processing form data using AEM workflows" (https://helpx.adobe.com/aem-forms/6-2/aem-workflows-submit-process-form.html#main-pars_header_5). This article cross-references ("Recommended reads") http://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-2/develop/extending/workflows/wf-models.html

Where to check if I am in Classical view or Touch UI view? I am working on a desktop computer. 

Thanks again, 

David 

Former Community Member

I have found the location to configure Classical UI or Touch UI View. I go to change to Classical and see. 

Former Community Member

It looks to me that I am using Classical UI already as I can not find the "Authoring Mode" in the "User Preferences" window.  There is no "Authoring Mode" section. Checking to the AEM doc, I think this is Classic UI. 

Classic UI

The Preferences dialog is available from the account menu in the top right corner of the consoles:

file

The dialog offers the following options:

file

Level 10

Do you see a Sidekick with the AEM Demo pages - try this URL:

http://localhost:4502/cf#/content/geometrixx/en/products/triangle.html

You should see side kick there.

Level 10

That is a good sign - meaning the AEM sidekick is working in your AEM instance. Can you post the URL on the AEM page where the sidekick is not showing up please. 

Correct answer by
Level 10

Those are TOuch UI views - you can tell because a Touch UI has this in the url: editor.html. Likewise - a Classic UI view has cf# in the URL. 

In Touch UI - there is no sidekick. There is a SideRail instead. See this view: 

Click the Toggle button to get the SideRail where the components are stored. 

Former Community Member

I see. Yeah, you are right. Your answer works. 

Thanks so much!