Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Migration to AEM6.4 from AEM6.0

Level 4

Hi Team,

We are planning to migrate from AEM6.0 to AEM6.4 but in AEM6.0 we have large repository around 50GB . After migration we are looking out to increase the performance of search .

Please suggest the best search engine to use.

1. should we go with AEM search. ?

2. Solr search engine

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

You should separate the question of upgrading to AEM 6.4 from the performance discussion. The question of support should be justification enough to upgrade.

Regarding the question if you should use Oak-Solr (powering JCR queries by Solr) or not: From my point of view I haven't seen valid reasons to prefer Oak-Solr over the embedded lucene. You can improve the search performance in many ways even with the embedded Lucene engine. I would recommend only to use oak-solr when you have done extensive performance tests; I am not aware of any recommendation when to use it (thus you need to develop that experience on your own).

If you don't consider oak-solr, but if you want to have a site-search (end users are searching your site), then I would always prefer Solr over JCR queries (no matter if backed by Lucene or Oak-Solr). You only need to find out which option is best suited for you to get your content into the solr.

Jörg

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 10

After upgrade to 6.4 and search do you see any issues?
What delay you are noticing?

Level 4

Hi ,

We are in discussion of which search to use once migrated to AEM6.4 due to large repository. We might face performance issue still analyzing  on which approach to choose.

Let me know the best search to use whether go with AEM search or Solr , also share few benefits of the best search

Thanks in advance

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

You should separate the question of upgrading to AEM 6.4 from the performance discussion. The question of support should be justification enough to upgrade.

Regarding the question if you should use Oak-Solr (powering JCR queries by Solr) or not: From my point of view I haven't seen valid reasons to prefer Oak-Solr over the embedded lucene. You can improve the search performance in many ways even with the embedded Lucene engine. I would recommend only to use oak-solr when you have done extensive performance tests; I am not aware of any recommendation when to use it (thus you need to develop that experience on your own).

If you don't consider oak-solr, but if you want to have a site-search (end users are searching your site), then I would always prefer Solr over JCR queries (no matter if backed by Lucene or Oak-Solr). You only need to find out which option is best suited for you to get your content into the solr.

Jörg