Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Local AEM instance on PC crashes after content package is uploaded

Level 2

Hi,

I would like some advice regarding the use of content packages in local AEM instances. Whenever I try to install a content package of the content from our website into my local instance, which is around 3GB, it eventually crashes and becomes unusable. Sometimes it takes days and sometimes it can take just hours. The only way to fix it is to delete the crx-quickstart folder and install everything (service packs etc) again. In terms of using a content package, I have to use a much smaller ZIP with alot less content to be able to test very specific things on very specific pages. This is not ideal so I am hoping someone can help me out!

I have had this problem for a while, on a PC which (I feel) was quite decent spec but I now have a new machine. My new PC is a Windows 10 32GB RAM i7 quad-core with SSD hard-drive so I'm pretty sure it isn't anything to do with the spec of the machine. I wonder if there is something running in the background in the local AEM instance which is causing this problem?

Any help and advice will be much appreciated!

Thanks

Theo

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 9

Hi Theo,

OOM sounds different issue all together. Attach the heap dump [A] to see what is happening.  Sounds like you might be using the default jvm settings.   2 gig should be fine but in you envirnoments we use 4 gigs.  Higher the better, we have few developers using 1 gigs also. 

[A]   https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/kb/AnalyzeMemoryProblems.html

Thanks,

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 4

Hi, Theo

As per my understanding you are just installing a package which is having filter like /content/yoursite (and/or) /content/dam/yoursite and it get uploaded into your local without any issues. 

If this is the case you are just fine that you are not installing any changes that may affect your server. 

So, once you click install, what can you see in  Activity Log of packmgr? And, are you observing your error log while installing package? 

Please share the logs if possible to have more understanding. 

Thanks,

Vamsi

Level 9

Hi Theo,

Install the latest service pack Or delete the node /system/sling/installer/jcr/pauseInstallation

Thanks,

Level 2

Thanks both for your advice. When I install the content package, in CRXDE I can see it is showing the progress in the Activity Log. In the error log, I have noticed multiple errors relating to Java heap space i.e.

"java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space"

How much memory do you recommend the Author JAR requires for a local development environment? I also tried deleting the pauseInstallation node as suggested but this completely "bricked" my AEM instance so I had to start again.

Hope that info helps - I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks

Theo

Correct answer by
Level 9

Hi Theo,

OOM sounds different issue all together. Attach the heap dump [A] to see what is happening.  Sounds like you might be using the default jvm settings.   2 gig should be fine but in you envirnoments we use 4 gigs.  Higher the better, we have few developers using 1 gigs also. 

[A]   https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/kb/AnalyzeMemoryProblems.html

Thanks,

Level 2

Hi,

Just wanted to follow up on this as I have found a solution that works. I made a new local instance of AEM 6.1, and in CMD (rather than opening the JAR directly) I navigated to the location of the JAR and ran the following command:

java -Xms1024m -Xmx4096m -jar FILENAME.jar

This allocates 1GB of memory and gives it a maximum of 4GB to use. I also downloaded a free monitoring tool called VisualVM which allows me to keep an eye on the memory being allocated and used by the JAR. I then installed AEM 6.1 SP1, and afterwards installed a full content package. I built our Master branch locally, and then built my feature branch. My AEM instance has been running for 66 hours non-stop without any issues smiley So it looks like the default memory just wasn't enough and 4GB is plenty. I noticed that at times the memory did rise to 4GB but then it settled down again.

I hope the above helps anyone else experiencing similar problems - and thank you for your help in resolving it!

Theo