Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Limitation of Metadata forms for custom MIME types

Level 2

Hello All

We want to create custom metadata forms for custom mimetypes. But as per current implementation, that has to be present inside "default" folder and which forces to add default tab via inheritance. Is there a way to create these forms without inheritance OR to create them outside of default folder for custom MIME type.

Note that "Apply folder" will not work as we want the form based on MIME type of the asset and not based on the parent folder due to content organization of the business.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi @Vijayalakshmi_S 

Thanks for the response. Below are the information you requested. While looking into it further, I feel the feature provided assumes that the any custom MIME types will need the inheritance and it "forces" these additional tabs and properties through inheritance. This is bit odd and it would have been nice to have a option to break the inheritance rather than having custom implementation

Any ideas how we can achieve this through custom implementation.

1. I am using AEM 6.5 SP4

2. I see the tabs - Basic, Advanced, IPTC, IPTC Extension, Camera Data, Product Data 

Edit: Comment from @Vijayalakshmi_S below solves the problem.

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @gkkhatal,

If it doesn't has to follow inheritance from "default", we can create custom metadata schema in the equal hierarchy as "default" and then apply to desired folders. But the actual requirement of associating it to mimeType might not be directly possible as is. 

On a high level, looks like it calls for custom implementation. 

Could you please provide inputs on the below

• AEM instance version
  • Tabs which you see as inherited from parent while trying to create custom metadata schema

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi @Vijayalakshmi_S 

Thanks for the response. Below are the information you requested. While looking into it further, I feel the feature provided assumes that the any custom MIME types will need the inheritance and it "forces" these additional tabs and properties through inheritance. This is bit odd and it would have been nice to have a option to break the inheritance rather than having custom implementation

Any ideas how we can achieve this through custom implementation.

1. I am using AEM 6.5 SP4

2. I see the tabs - Basic, Advanced, IPTC, IPTC Extension, Camera Data, Product Data 

Edit: Comment from @Vijayalakshmi_S below solves the problem.

Thanks

Community Advisor

Hi @gkkhatal,

On analyzing the existing implementation, "Create" action in a specific hierarchy works by creating the editor involving all the fields from entire parent hierarchy so as not to lose the base fields.
Example: Create action being in default/image/ -> Builds up the editor fields from both this hierarchy and leaving us with an option to add new tabs/fields.
In brief, rendering logic of Editor fields works respecting the hierarchy.

With this understanding + "Copy" action of existing OOB schema, have tried the below in my local avoiding the custom implementation (which in this use case is like rewriting the entire schema editor rendering logic)

• Click on "checkbox" near "default" schema -> Copy -> Provide schema title say -> "Custom Schema" -> It will be created in the equal hierarchy as "default" (complete copy of default with all of its children)
  • Click on "checkbox" near newly created schema - "Custom Schema" -> Edit -> Remove the tabs/fields per the need -> This will flow to all of its children under "Custom Schema"
  • You can then associate the main "Custom Schema" to desired folders via "Apply to Folders".(On a single go, you may not be able to select folders of different hierarchy, Can be an individual action)
  • Note : Try in your local first and in higher environments, have a back up and then try.

Few related screenshots for reference:

Vijayalakshmi_S_0-1597236272646.pngVijayalakshmi_S_1-1597236424198.pngVijayalakshmi_S_2-1597236685715.pngVijayalakshmi_S_3-1597236861972.png

Level 2

Hi @Vijayalakshmi_S 

Thanks, this worked fine for us. Thanks for the solution and the clarity. Appreciate it!

Thanks

Ganesh