Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

JUnit 5 throws java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "org.apache.sling.api.resource.Resource.getPath()" because "parent" is null

Level 2

Hi,

I have a servlet uses SlingServletPaths and Get Method. Servlet receives more than one request parameter then perform operations.

I have below ServletTest to test my ExampleServlet. Below Error is thrown when I ran mvn clean install command

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "org.apache.sling.api.resource.Resource.getPath()" because "parent" is null

@ExtendWith(AemContextExtension.class)

public class ExampleServletTest {

ExampleServlet example = new ExampleServlet();

@test

void testDoGet(AemContext context)throws ServletException,IOException {

MockSlingHttpServletRequest request = context.request();

MockSlingHttpServletResponse response = context.response();

request.setQueryString("param1=test1");

request.setQueryString("param2=test2");

request.setQueryString("param3=test3");

example.doGet(request, response);

}

}

Any pointer or help would be appreciated?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@aemey,

"parent is null" in NPE refers to the first argument on the create method which is nothing but the parent resource under which we are trying to create a resource. 

Resource resource = resolver.create(resolver.getResource(folderPath)folderName,

folderProperties);

Cross check that the AemContext object in Test class is aware/set to the parent resource. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @aemey 

Is it possible for you to share your actual Servlet class. In this case ExampleServlet

Level 2

Thanks for the response.

I have extended my ExampleServlet to add backend call. This is hard to share here.

But code is failed through Unit test here. I am sending folderPath, folderName from ExampleServletTest and folderProperties added through HashMap 

final Map<String, Object> folderProperties = new HashMap<>();

folderProperties.put(JcrConstants.JCR_PRIMARYTYPE,JcrResourceConstants.NT_SLING_FOLDER);

folderProperties.put(JcrConstants.JCR_TITLE, folderTitle);

Resource resource = resolver.create(resolver.getResource(folderPath), folderName,

folderProperties);

Above code works fine If I call through Standard Servlet using component

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@aemey,

"parent is null" in NPE refers to the first argument on the create method which is nothing but the parent resource under which we are trying to create a resource. 

Resource resource = resolver.create(resolver.getResource(folderPath)folderName,

folderProperties);

Cross check that the AemContext object in Test class is aware/set to the parent resource.