Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Is there a way to clear data if you get Mixed Entries in properties

Level 2

On our website we have hundreds of partners that share the same content with some of the content being unique. We want to be able to author in that unique data but also be able to do a bulk edit if we are looking to change for example a common title in all of these pages. The solution I'm pursuing is to have this data filled via the properties of the page template. By doing this I can edit all of our partners once but the risk involved is that if any of the data is different I see <Mixed Entries> in my text field which blocks me from editing this.

I understand that this is to prevent data loss but in this scenario what I would like to do is have whatever I add into the text field overwrite what was previously there. Alternatively it would be extremely helpful to have a report as to which page is not matching the rest of content or even just having away to clear that property on all pages.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm a little surprised there is so little control over this and also that the no information is given in terms of the error. 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

It seems like this could be a use case for Content Fragments https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/using/content-fragments.html in case where there are multiple partners sharing/using same content. By using CF the source remains same and the content can be used for different views for the desired partner.

Once challenge you might face is I think, since your content might already reside in pages, chunking them out as CFs and designing different CF models might be a challenge.

Other options is using XF (Experience Fragments) In this case you will have to create XF templates and create XF pages and drop components there to have the desired view of the content. This XF can be included as is in desired partner site. We can make variations of XF pages created too for each partner (need to check the limit impact)

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Employee Advisor

Have you already explored if the MultiSiteManager (MSM) would a solution to your problem? It is designed exactly for this usecase.

https://docs.adobe.com/content/help/en/experience-manager-64/administering/introduction/msm.html

HTH,

Jörg

Level 2

Hi Jörg,

Correct me if I'm wrong but can this approach only be done if you have already setup a blueprint or site to create live copies from?

My situation is that we have 200+ pages with common content that currently aren't associated with any blueprint. So if I understand this correctly in order to associate these sites with a blue print I would have to re-author all 200+ pages in order to achieve the result I'm looking for.

That being said this is something I think we'll do in the future as it's definitely the preferred way of doing this but it's a lot more effort involved than expected.

Sebastian 

Employee Advisor

Hi Sebastian,

Yes, the MSM requires some upfront planning and thoughts, as it is a very powerful and versatile tool, which can be very helpful but also be a beast

I would recommend to read the resources available regarding MSM; and the basic principles (especially everything around setup and information architecture) have not changed for years (almost forever). I would definitely would recommend also to do a test where you exercise all the usecases you will have, starting from moving pages around (in both blueprint and live copies) and studying the effects. That should give you a good feeling.

Community Advisor

You can try XF if that solves your problem.

Arun Patidar

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

It seems like this could be a use case for Content Fragments https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/using/content-fragments.html in case where there are multiple partners sharing/using same content. By using CF the source remains same and the content can be used for different views for the desired partner.

Once challenge you might face is I think, since your content might already reside in pages, chunking them out as CFs and designing different CF models might be a challenge.

Other options is using XF (Experience Fragments) In this case you will have to create XF templates and create XF pages and drop components there to have the desired view of the content. This XF can be included as is in desired partner site. We can make variations of XF pages created too for each partner (need to check the limit impact)