Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Installing Older versions of Experience Manager documentation

Level 3

Has anyone had success installing old versions of the documentation in AEM? (https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-release-information/aem-release-updates/p...)

I have tried several versions of the documentation loaded in AEM 6.4 and 6.5 and keep running into the same error.

12.11.2021 17:19:04.061 *ERROR* [0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 [1636755544050] GET /libs/aem-docs/content/en/experience-manager/6-3/sites/administering/using/administer-best-practices.html HTTP/1.1] com.day.cq.wcm.core.impl.designer.DesignerImpl No design at /etc/designs/help. Using default.
12.11.2021 17:19:04.086 *INFO* [0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 [1636755544050] GET /libs/aem-docs/content/en/experience-manager/6-3/sites/administering/using/administer-best-practices.html HTTP/1.1] com.day.cq.wcm.core.impl.designer.SystemDesign Initialized system design at /libs/settings/wcm/designs/default in 20ms
12.11.2021 17:19:04.515 *ERROR* [0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 [1636755544050] GET /libs/aem-docs/content/en/experience-manager/6-3/sites/administering/using/administer-best-practices.html HTTP/1.1] com.day.cq.wcm.tags.IncludeTag Error while executing script side.jsp
org.apache.sling.api.scripting.ScriptEvaluationException: org.apache.sling.scripting.jsp.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP:

An error occurred at line: 12 in the generated java file
Only a type can be imported. org.apache.sling.jcr.resource.JcrResourceConstants resolves to a package
at org.apache.sling.scripting.core.impl.DefaultSlingScript.call(DefaultSlingScript.java:416) [org.apache.sling.scripting.core:2.0.54]
at org.apache.sling.scripting.core.impl.DefaultSlingScript.eval(DefaultSlingScript.java:184) [org.apache.sling.scripting.core:2.0.54]

12.11.2021 17:19:04.518 *ERROR* [0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 [1636755544050] GET /libs/aem-docs/content/en/experience-manager/6-3/sites/administering/using/administer-best-practices.html HTTP/1.1] com.day.cq.wcm.tags.IncludeTag Error while executing script body.jsp
org.apache.sling.api.scripting.ScriptEvaluationException: org.apache.sling.scripting.jsp.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP:

Only a type can be imported. org.apache.sling.jcr.resource.JcrResourceConstants resolves to a package

12.11.2021 17:19:04.520 *ERROR* [0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 [1636755544050] GET /libs/aem-docs/content/en/experience-manager/6-3/sites/administering/using/administer-best-practices.html HTTP/1.1] com.day.cq.wcm.tags.IncludeTag Error while executing script page.jsp

12.11.2021 17:19:04.522 *ERROR* [0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 [1636755544050] GET /libs/aem-docs/content/en/experience-manager/6-3/sites/administering/using/administer-best-practices.html HTTP/1.1] com.day.cq.wcm.core.impl.WCMDeveloperModeFilter Error during include of SlingRequestPathInfo: path='/libs/aem-docs/content/en/experience-manager/6-3/sites/administering/using/administer-best-practices/jcr:content', selectorString='null', extension='html', suffix='null'

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

My hunch was correct.  I was able to obtain an AEM 6.3 instance and the 6.3 documentation displays without issue.

I guess this makes sense.  Adobe is obviously leveraging AEM for the online documentation.  When they upgrade their internal instance, the older documentation may not work (as I found).  Rather than spending time refactoring it to work, they just export as a package to provide to customers.  It's less work on their end and there are probably very few people that actually need this documentation anyway.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @AEM_Dan,

I am not exactly sure what you meant by "Has anyone had success installing old versions of the documentation in AEM?"

As per my understanding, you are facing issues in resolving the bundle dependencies and seeing the errors in the logs. If yes, follow the below steps

1. Check the uber jar version in pom.xml - it should be same as your AEM version
  2. Try building the bundle - mvn clean install -PautoInstallBundle
  3. Refresh the bundles and check if the dependencies are getting resolved
  4. try to install the bundles manually and check if the error persists

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Kiran Vedantam

Level 3

Adobe provides documentation online for AEM versions 6.4 and 6.5 here: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/?lang=en

For older versions, you can download the documentation (say for version 6.3) here and it is provided as a package: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-release-information/aem-release-updates/p...

I would think since it's being provided by Adobe, it should just work without me having to update dependencies in pom.xml.  Plus I just have the package, not source code.

However, I am trying to load the AEM 6.3 documentation in a 6.5 AEM instance.  Could it be that the documentation has to be loaded in the same version of AEM. i.e. AEM-DOCS-6.2 must be loaded in a 6.2 instance?

Correct answer by
Level 3

My hunch was correct.  I was able to obtain an AEM 6.3 instance and the 6.3 documentation displays without issue.

I guess this makes sense.  Adobe is obviously leveraging AEM for the online documentation.  When they upgrade their internal instance, the older documentation may not work (as I found).  Rather than spending time refactoring it to work, they just export as a package to provide to customers.  It's less work on their end and there are probably very few people that actually need this documentation anyway.

Level 1

I've got down here with the same hunch, @AEM_Dan. Appreciate your confirmation.

My struggle is with 6.3 as well.
Any tip on how to get my hands on the right installer version? Seems I can't find in the "Software Distribution" site

Thanks in advance.

Level 3

I think you would have to ask your sales rep or licensing folks.  I happened to have 6.3 sitting around.  I believe you can obtain versions back to 6.0 through Adobe's Solution Partner Program, if you are part of that.  Was there something specific you were looking for?   Maybe I can pull it for you.  Or do you need all the documentation?