Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

In-place Upgrade of 6.4.8.4 to 6.5.0 Doesn't Upgrade Bundles

Level 2

When attempting an in-place upgrade of 6.4.8.4 Author instance to 6.5 the upgrade runs for about a minute then hangs with many product bundles in unresolved state.  This was a previously upgraded from 6.1 or 6.2 to 6.4 instance, and one of the unsatisfied dependencies was:

Unresolved requirements: [[com.adobe.granite.crypto [158](R 158.3)] osgi.wiring.package; (&(osgi.wiring.package=org.apache.commons.io)(version>=2.0.1)(!(version>=3.0.0)))]

So, followed the known issue resolution to install commons-io:  https://helpx.adobe.com/dk/experience-manager/kb/aem65upgradeadditionalsteps.html

After performing the above, upgrade.log says the upgrade completed:

30.09.2021 00:35:53.191 *INFO* [FelixStartLevel] com.adobe.cq.upgradesexecutor.Activator UPGRADE TASK DONE: CqMergeBackupUpgrade

30.09.2021 00:35:53.192 *INFO* [FelixStartLevel] com.adobe.cq.upgradesexecutor.Activator UPGRADE FINISHED: From a total of 28 CodeUpgradeTasks: 1 were successfully executed, 0 failed and 6 skipped. Total execution time about 1 seconds

OSGi Admin Console -> Product Information shows: Adobe Experience Manager (6.5.0)

CRXDE shows Apache Jackrabbit Oak 1.10.2 

However, about 25 product bundles are stuck in Installed state with unsatisfied dependencies.  For example:

Adobe CQ WCM Foundation Components 5.12.20 (state: Installed)
ERROR: com.day.cq.wcm.api,version=[1.27,1.28) -- Cannot be resolved

com.day.cq.wcm.cq-wcm-api 5.12.30 is installed, but this version exports:

com.day.cq.wcm.api,version=1.28.0

Doing a comparison of the installed bundle versions compared to the bundle versions of a fresh 6.5 install show that almost all of the bundles did not upgrade, e.g.:

Day Communique 5 WCM API - 5.12.30 vs. 5.14.6

Adobe CQ WCM Foundation Components - 5.12.20 vs. 5.12.38

Apache Sling Servlet Resolver - 2.4.24 vs. 2.7.10

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Issues resolved.  

Started over with the upgrade, extracted Day Communique 5 WCM API - 5.12.26 bundle from the 6.5.0 quickstart jar and installed that before starting the upgraded. 

The one other issue was the missing commons-io, which I resolved by installing as per https://helpx.adobe.com/dk/experience-manager/kb/aem65upgradeadditionalsteps.html

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 2

Actually, I was mistaken.  I compared the bundle versions to a 6.5.9 instance.  Comparing the upgraded instance to a freshly installed 6.5.0 instance, most of the versions are the same, except for this one which seems to be the culprit:

6.4.8.4 upgraded to 6.5.0 instance:

Day Communique 5 WCM API - 5.12.30

Fresh 6.5.0 instance:

Day Communique 5 WCM API - 5.12.26

So, it appears the 6.4.8.4 upgraded to 6.5.0 instance actually has a newer version of this bundle that does not satisfy some of the other bundles that are the correct version for a 6.5.0 instance.  This newer version must have been introduced by one of the service packs or cumulative fix packs that had brought the instance up to 6.4.8.4.  Going to try manually downgrading this bundle to the correct version for 6.5.0.

Employee Advisor

Hi @bbur3, that was a good catch!
Try installing the latest service pack compatible with AEM-6.5 and then deploy your custom code.

Correct answer by
Level 2

Issues resolved.  

Started over with the upgrade, extracted Day Communique 5 WCM API - 5.12.26 bundle from the 6.5.0 quickstart jar and installed that before starting the upgraded. 

The one other issue was the missing commons-io, which I resolved by installing as per https://helpx.adobe.com/dk/experience-manager/kb/aem65upgradeadditionalsteps.html