Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session
SOLVED

Identifying all the customization in the AEM project

Level 2

Hi, 

I need to make a list of all the customization done over the vanilla AEM in my current project.
Is there any tool that can help in identifying all such customization?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I think,

you should check the code in your project repo.

If changes are done manually(which is bad) then you should check the /apps and /apps/system for osgi config.

for users/group check the /home folder

I think you can run for query to check modified date but it will take longer, because you may have to run with many small folder.

Arun Patidar

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Community Advisor

Hello @shubham_naik  -

• When you say customizations across the project, do you have a list of what all you are looking at?
  • Also, are you referring to components, templates, experience fragments, OSGI configurations etc? If yes, there are ways in which you can locate these by validating but to the best of my understanding there is no one tool which can tell it all at once. 

Thanks,

Tanika

Level 2

The goal of the exercise we are doing is to identify all the customization we have implemented and see if there is OOTB functionality that does the same thing so we can eliminate redundancy. 
I don't have a list as such, I'm just looking for anything that fits the above-mentioned criteria.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I think,

you should check the code in your project repo.

If changes are done manually(which is bad) then you should check the /apps and /apps/system for osgi config.

for users/group check the /home folder

I think you can run for query to check modified date but it will take longer, because you may have to run with many small folder.

Arun Patidar

Employee Advisor

Hi @shubham_naik!

To identify customisations and overlays of the AEM product, it's required to perform an analysis of your projects source code. Examples of things to look for:

• Does your project setup (package filters) cover any area that is usually reserved for product code, such as /libs? 
  • Does your source code contain overlays for /libs under /apps?

You could also rely on existing tooling. Adobe provides the Best Practices Analyzer (BPA) [1,2] that runs on your AEM instance and generates a report of potential issues, violations of latest guidelines and best practices. It also hints you to product customisations and overlays. The tool is meant to support the preparations of a move towards AEM as a Cloud Service but would probably help with what you are trying to do as well.

Hope that helps!

[1] Documentation of BPA: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-cloud-service/content/migration-journey/c...

[2] Webinar on BPA usage: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-gems-events/gems/gems2023/aem-best-practi...