Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Issue after SP16 upgrade of AEM 6.5

Level 4

Hello everyone,

We have just upgraded Service Pack 16 (SP16) in our AEM 6.5 instance. Our legacy pages are throwing errors at scriptlet occurrences. Is there any known issue which could be the reason for this problem.

To be very specific, we are experiencing a Null Pointer Exception on the below line of code in the head.jsp which is at template level. These templates and components has been developed before the sightly existence.

<meta name="last-modified-date" content="<%= (sling.getService(myUtility.class)).getLastModifiedDate(slingRequest, currentPage)%>" />

We have upgraded until SP13 in our current live instance and all good. The problem in the legacy pages happened right after SP16 installation.

Anyone have experienced this kind of a issue while upgrading SP16 ?
Could anyone suggest a workaround for the same ?

Thanks
SHYAMSUNDAR TK

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi @samsundar23!

Personally, I am not aware of any general issue with AEMs SP16 that could cause NullPointerExceptions in scriptlets.

In addition, the provided information is unfortunately not enough to provide specific advise on how to fix the issue.

My recommendation is to perform a more detailed analysis. Some steps that may help:

• Setup logging and/or increase log level to check if there are hints that might shed some light on the root cause.
  • Refactor the code of the scriptlet and/or the utility class introducing some null-checks. This might help identifying the object that is null, potentially again hinting to the root cause.

Feel free to share the results of your analysis for further support in this thread.

It would also be helpful to understand if you are basing your implementation on foundation or core components for the page template.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Level 3

Hi @samsundar23 , 

It would be great if you could share error logs for the same. 

Regards, 

Pavan 

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi @samsundar23!

Personally, I am not aware of any general issue with AEMs SP16 that could cause NullPointerExceptions in scriptlets.

In addition, the provided information is unfortunately not enough to provide specific advise on how to fix the issue.

My recommendation is to perform a more detailed analysis. Some steps that may help:

• Setup logging and/or increase log level to check if there are hints that might shed some light on the root cause.
  • Refactor the code of the scriptlet and/or the utility class introducing some null-checks. This might help identifying the object that is null, potentially again hinting to the root cause.

Feel free to share the results of your analysis for further support in this thread.

It would also be helpful to understand if you are basing your implementation on foundation or core components for the page template.

Hope that helps!