Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to perform permission sensitive caching and it's use case?

Community Advisor

Hi,

I'm exploring the "permission sensitive caching" of pages in AEM. I've followed the official documentation about how can we create a servlet to check user permissions and allow them to access cached pages.

But, what I didn't understand it how it'd be applied in the scenario?

Cos' so far whatever I've understood, 

1. To cache the authorised pages, we need to set the allowedAuthoried property value to 1 in the dispatcher. That allows us to cache authorised pages.

2. If we want to allow a website page to access from a particular group then we can enable the CUG feature so nobody apart from those developers would be able to access those pages.

3. Let's say if there's any login functionality on website and profile pages is getting cached so even if cached profile page is there in cache directory when we'll try to hit the user profile page URL directly, in any way it won't display if User is not logged in cos' that's what standard functionality says.

By keeping overall things in mind, I'm not able to make sense where "permission sensitive caching" comes in the scenario? What's the use of its explicit configuration?

Thanks,

Himanshu

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi

The CUG feature is a feature of AEM; the dispatcher does not care about if access to a page is restricted or not. If you set /allowAuthorized "1" it will cache any page which matches the caching rule set.

So if there is a CUG protected page /content/myprotectedpage.html, a logged-in user successfully accesses that page, the dispatcher can store it in cache. But what happens now, if an un-authorized user hits /content/myprotectedpage.html as well? It is stored in the dispatcher and the dispatcher delivers this page (as the dispatcher doesn't know about CUG and access control).

So just using CUG is not enough if you want to cache protected pages.

This is where the PSC comes into play. Before it delivers a page from the cache, it re-assures on the backend side, that it is ok to deliver that page from the cache. Then the dispatcher is permission-aware (although you can implement any kind of logic you like, not necessarily bound to the access control).

Hope that helps,

Jörg

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Administrator

Jörg Hoh​ your take here?

~kautuk

Kautuk Sahni

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi

The CUG feature is a feature of AEM; the dispatcher does not care about if access to a page is restricted or not. If you set /allowAuthorized "1" it will cache any page which matches the caching rule set.

So if there is a CUG protected page /content/myprotectedpage.html, a logged-in user successfully accesses that page, the dispatcher can store it in cache. But what happens now, if an un-authorized user hits /content/myprotectedpage.html as well? It is stored in the dispatcher and the dispatcher delivers this page (as the dispatcher doesn't know about CUG and access control).

So just using CUG is not enough if you want to cache protected pages.

This is where the PSC comes into play. Before it delivers a page from the cache, it re-assures on the backend side, that it is ok to deliver that page from the cache. Then the dispatcher is permission-aware (although you can implement any kind of logic you like, not necessarily bound to the access control).

Hope that helps,

Jörg