Expand my Community achievements bar.

July 31st AEM Gems Webinar: Elevate your AEM development to master the integration of private GitHub repositories within AEM Cloud Manager.

how to implement a media handler in AEM 6.2

Level 1

Hi there,

I'm going to implement a functionality in AEM 6.2 when a particular tag (a field of asset property) is added/updated/deleted, it triggers a RESTful api request to update something of a third party. 

What I was going to do is implement a media handler (extends AbstractAssetHandler) using maven and activate the built jar file, so it'll be called when the DAM Update Asset workflow processes.

While referring to the official documentation and following this sample (https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-2/develop/extending/assets/media-handlers.html), I found there's nothing logged in my web console log so I couldn't tell if it's really working. The doc is kind of outdated, still using the deprecated API so maybe this is part of reason why it's not working.

Can anyone help me with this issue? Or alternatively, is there any other approach to implement this? Thanks a lot in advance.

4 Replies

Level 10

We will update this article this week and republish for 6.2

Level 1

smacdonald2008 wrote...

We will update this article this week and republish for 6.2

That'll be quite helpful. Thanks a lot!

Level 10

I just tested on 6.2 - I uploaded a TXT file to the DAM - the handler responded: 

com.adobe.dam.MyHandler Here in the DAM Hander - the text asset had this many words 13

Did you follow the article and were you able to build the bundle?