Expand my Community achievements bar.

July 31st AEM Gems Webinar: Elevate your AEM development to master the integration of private GitHub repositories within AEM Cloud Manager.
SOLVED

How to distinguish whether a page is published first time or multiple times in the CQ5 published environment

Level 1

I need to display labels "New" and "Updated" besides the links displayed on a page on my website.

For this I applied a logic of checking number of versions. If number of versions are more than 2 I displayed "updated" else i displayed "New". I am able to achieve it in the Author environment.

But in Publish environment, Number of versions created for a page, even though the page is modified and republished, are one only. So how can i identify that whether the page is published first time or it has been published multiple times.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 7

One suggestion to this is to implement you own servlet/listener that listens to the replication events. Look at the EventHandler and JobProcessor interfaces. This servlet could then for example set a property value on the component instance so that the component could be displayed different the first time. It could just be a small counter variable that keeps track of how many times the actualy thing has been published or some more fancy logic there :)

//imports @Service... @Component... @Property(name = "event.topics", value = ReplicationAction.EVENT_TOPIC) public class MyCustomEventHandler implements EventHandler, JobProcessor { private static final Logger LOGGER = LoggerFactory.getLogger(MyCustomEventHandler.class); @Override public void handleEvent(Event event) { LOGGER.info("Handling an event of some kind !!"); process (event); } @Override public boolean process(Event event) { LOGGER.info("Processing an event !!"); ReplicationAction action = ReplicationAction.fromEvent(event); if (action.getType().equals(ReplicationActionType.ACTIVATE)) { LOGGER.info("Processing an activation job, this is just what we are looking for !!!!!"); //Logic for fetching/setting the properties you want from the component you want //goes here. Here you can make use of the action.getPath(); to get hold of the containing page //and then later on any specific components... } return true; } }

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Level 8

Is the component that implements the version-checking logic deployed to the publish instance?

scott

Correct answer by
Level 7

One suggestion to this is to implement you own servlet/listener that listens to the replication events. Look at the EventHandler and JobProcessor interfaces. This servlet could then for example set a property value on the component instance so that the component could be displayed different the first time. It could just be a small counter variable that keeps track of how many times the actualy thing has been published or some more fancy logic there :)

//imports @Service... @Component... @Property(name = "event.topics", value = ReplicationAction.EVENT_TOPIC) public class MyCustomEventHandler implements EventHandler, JobProcessor { private static final Logger LOGGER = LoggerFactory.getLogger(MyCustomEventHandler.class); @Override public void handleEvent(Event event) { LOGGER.info("Handling an event of some kind !!"); process (event); } @Override public boolean process(Event event) { LOGGER.info("Processing an event !!"); ReplicationAction action = ReplicationAction.fromEvent(event); if (action.getType().equals(ReplicationActionType.ACTIVATE)) { LOGGER.info("Processing an activation job, this is just what we are looking for !!!!!"); //Logic for fetching/setting the properties you want from the component you want //goes here. Here you can make use of the action.getPath(); to get hold of the containing page //and then later on any specific components... } return true; } }