Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

How do I implement the out of the box button component within a custom component?

Level 2

I want the button component to come onto my custom component. The button should be customizable like so:

cosmicthief_0-1676355846277.png

This is dialog box that comes up when you try to configure the button. I would like this to come up when I click on the implemented button within the custom component I built.

cosmicthief_1-1676355945013.png

For less confusion, the buttons have rendered since I added it to the html file. But I would like to able to configure the button with the dialog box popping up.

Is this possible?

@kautuk_sahni @BrianKasingli @arunpatidar @DEBAL_DAS @SantoshSai 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

you don't need to allow button component in your customcomponent.

Add isContainer property to your component.

Example

https://github.com/arunpatidar02/aemaacs-aemlab/blob/master/ui.apps/src/main/content/jcr_root/apps/a... 

Arun Patidar

View solution in original post

14 Replies

Community Advisor

Embed the OOTB component in your custom one by adding a placeholder like for tabs , accordion where you can drag and drop any other existing component .

Himanshu Jain

Level 2

Hi, thank you for your response. I'm very new to AEM so I don't quite understand what you mean by adding a placeholder. How would I do that? 
Thanks

Community Advisor

@cosmicthief You could probably include the dialog of the OOTB button components via /libs/granite/ui/components/coral/foundation/include and customize the HTML/CSS as you would like.

Community Advisor

you can embed those button using data-sly-resource in custom component.

<div class="custom-comp">

<div class="cmp-custom-bt1" data-sly-resource="${@path='btn1', resourceType='mypass/content/button'}"></div>
<div class="cmp-custom-bt2" data-sly-resource="${@path='btn2', resourceType='mypass/content/button'}"></div>

</div>

Arun Patidar

Level 2

Hi, thank you for your response. I have already added that to my HTL file. With that only the empty button is rendered. I would like the button to have the options to edit text etc (exactly like the dialog box I attached to the original question). Do you have any recommendations of what I should do? (I am very new to AEM so I may need extra steps that are considered obvious haha.)

Thanks

Community Advisor

you need to create your custom component as a container and make button components editable within custom components. It is like composite component.

check the button components from left trail content tree Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 16.54.09.png

Arun Patidar

Level 2

Hi, so I tried that by editing the content xml file. I changed the supertype to a container. 

cosmicthief_2-1676510083216.png

Do I have to change something else as well? So far, it's not allowing me to add any components.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

you don't need to allow button component in your customcomponent.

Add isContainer property to your component.

Example

https://github.com/arunpatidar02/aemaacs-aemlab/blob/master/ui.apps/src/main/content/jcr_root/apps/a... 

Arun Patidar

Level 7

@cosmicthief An off topic question: What is the purpose of mentioning the below users? Does it mean that other users of this forum shall not answer your question?

Community Advisor

According to me

Intentions to tag certain users in the post so that they will get notified and see the question from notication.

Arun Patidar

Level 2

Hello @cosmicthief 

There would be 2 pieces for using OOTB Button component in another component"

1. Dialog: Possible approaches to configure:

-- Add fields to custom component, with property names as OOTB button.

-- Reuse the tabs of the OOTB button component by including it.

2. HTL: Use data-sly-resource to render the button component

<div data-sly-resource="${ 'foo' @ resourceType='<myapp/content/button>' }">

This Sling Model for "myapp/content/button" would use the properties from the foo resource, to render the button component

Level 2

How would include/reuse the tabs of OOTB component? Sorry, I'm new to AEM so I don't how to do that.

Thanks