Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Guest Session in AEM

Level 2

Is there a way to create a guest session in AEM? Our project is will be an e-commerce website built on AEM and we need to track the session of the incoming guest and generate a token out of it, in case there will be saving of items on the cart. We need to track this guest session/token so just in case the user decides to log in to our site to checkout those items the back end services can map on the ownership of the cart based on the session/token.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 9

Hi,

Here are good documents which talked about maintaining CommnerceSession to implement Cart & checkout functionality.

https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-1/administer/ecommerce/generic.html

https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-0/develop/ref/javadoc/com/adobe/cq/commerce/api/CommerceSession...

By the way, Geometrixx outdoor websites already has implemented. So, you can explore and figure it out, how Session is maintained.

Jitendra

harold malabanan wrote...

Is there a way to create a guest session in AEM? Our project is will be an e-commerce website built on AEM and we need to track the session of the incoming guest and generate a token out of it, in case there will be saving of items on the cart. We need to track this guest session/token so just in case the user decides to log in to our site to checkout those items the back end services can map on the ownership of the cart based on the session/token.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 9

Hi,

Here are good documents which talked about maintaining CommnerceSession to implement Cart & checkout functionality.

https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-1/administer/ecommerce/generic.html

https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-0/develop/ref/javadoc/com/adobe/cq/commerce/api/CommerceSession...

By the way, Geometrixx outdoor websites already has implemented. So, you can explore and figure it out, how Session is maintained.

Jitendra

harold malabanan wrote...

Level 2

We know this in depth level of information on ecommerce is missing.

We will be working with top community experts (both in and out of Adobe) to produce some strong dev articles around ecommerce. But as Jitendra pointed out - you can look at the Geometrixx outdoor website to see how it works. 

Level 2

Thank you for your response Jitendra, but a follow question would be based on my understanding Commerce API works well on the existing e-commerce engine recommended by Adobe (such as  hybris, IBM Websphere). What if we want to connect AEM to a different e-commerce engine or AEM will communicate to this back end services via REST. Can I still use the Commerce API to achieved the desired result for the guest session?

Thanks

Level 10

Hi Harold,

Essentially CommerceAPI can be used to create or extend your own services. As a reference you can always checkout geometrixx-outdoor site as @scott mentioned and write implement your own using commerceAPI if the existing doesnt serve your purpose.

Regards,

Lokesh

Level 9

@Harold,

I really can't say that the AEM eCommerce API will be sufficient in your case. It is totally depends on the problem. However, it can be used to solve some generic things and extendable as well.

AEM ecommerce API does provide features like Product data syncing with third party system, Product related, Recently view product component etc. Regarding REST call, I think you might have to do the development for that.

Jitendra

Level 2

Thank you for your inputs Lokesh and Jitendra, as agreed by our team we will be utilizing the native functionalities of AEM Commerce API and will extend if there is a need for the customization of the functionalities, just another question I noticed that the native commerce API uses the JCR as the database. is it ok or is it recommended if somehow instead using the JCR we use an external database like MySQL?

Thanks