Highlighted

Getting Started with AEM Sites - WKND Tutorial

edubey

30-11-2017

Found this interesting tutorial for someone who wants to get started with a project covering HTL, Sling Model, Touch UI, Core Components, Editable Templates

A multi-part tutorial designed for developers new to AEM. Walks through the implementation of an AEM site for a fictitious lifestyle brand the WKND. Covers fundamental topics like project setup, Core Components, editable templates, client libraries and component development.

Link:

Adobe Experience Manager Help | Getting Started with AEM Sites - WKND Tutorial

Hope it helps...

Replies

Highlighted

AEM_Forum

03-12-2017

Hi,

This is a wonderful tutorial because, it follows the latest design/coding standards and also for every part the deployable package is provided..

However, I have the following comments/requests:

1. I believe Windows is the most widely used OS and so Windows based instructions will be more useful.

End of the day, we do not want people to spend a lot of time, searching for equivalent commands on different OSes, which is counter productive.

2. I think that the testing instructions should be more elaborate.

For example, If I install Part-5 (the final part) directly, what to test and how to test is not obvious.

3. Also installing Part-5 alone may not suffice, as there may be other dependencies like Eclipse, Maven and Lazybones.

So, kindly suggest what all to install to complete Part-5.

4. I would request to include the following features in the upcoming releases:

a. LDAP Integration.

b. CUG based access control

c. Personalization on AEM alone, not using Target.

d. Invoking a RESTful web service and populating a grid.

e. Using Importer functionality to periodically fetch some data and storing in JCR.

f. Store Locator functionality, by integrating with Google Maps.

I do not have any doubt that this is going to be one of the best reference AEM implementations.

Thanks,

Rama.

Highlighted

smacdonald2008

03-12-2017

Most of your comments here - we have HELPX articles:

I would request to include the following features in the upcoming releases:

a. LDAP Integration -- Adobe Experience Manager Help | Configuring Adobe Experience Manager 6 to use Apache Directory Servi...

b. CUG based access control - can be found in the AEM Docs.

c. Personalization on AEM alone, not using Target. - we show that using Context HUB - Using the Adobe Experience Manager ContextHub to work with Personal Experiences (also show use with Target - Creating Personal Experiences using Experience Manager and Adobe Target )

d. Invoking a RESTful web service and populating a grid. (We have many artilces on AEM and WEB SERVICEs - both SOAP based and RESTFUL - (SOAP - Creating an Experience Manager 6.3 HTL Component that displays data from a SOAP Web Service)

Restful -- Creating an Adobe Experience Manager 6.3 HTL Component that displays data from a Restful Web Service

e. Using Importer functionality to periodically fetch some data and storing in JCR. (We have an older article on importing: Adobe Experience Manager Help | Creating Custom Data Importer Services for Adobe Experience Manager

f. Store Locator functionality, by integrating with Google Maps. - older article on how to get GOOGLE MAPS into AEM -- Adobe Experience Manager Help | Integrating custom Adobe Experience Manager Component with third-par...

Highlighted

AEM_Forum

03-12-2017

Hi Scott,

I agree that all these functionalities are available independently.

But, since WKND is being developed in to a near real life site, I requested to incorporate these functionalities in itself as well.

I also request to address my first three points.

Thanks to this forum, I am able to enhance my knowledge heavily.

Thanks,

Rama.

Highlighted

smacdonald2008

03-12-2017

Thank you for the feedback. We work hard at getting AEM examples with community input that work and tested by AEM community super users.

Highlighted

Madiha_Fatma

15-02-2018

Hi,

This is a very helping tutorial, Thanks for sharing!

However, I have one doubt i.e:

While creating the project using lazybones, following this article https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/kt/sites/using/getting-started-wknd-tutorial-develop/part... there is an input that we need to give: Use New Module Naming Convention , what are these naming conventions ?

Thanks,

Madiha

Highlighted

dgordon86

Employee

16-02-2018

Hi Madiha,

IIRC a common convention in CQ development pre 6.x was to name the maven module content -> for htl, jsp, CSS/JS, etc... and bundle for OSGi/Java code. Since we now refer to content as page content it was confusing. The new convention is ui.apps -> for htl, CSS/JS, configs and core for OSGi/Java code.

tl;dr

Use New Module Naming Convention = use ui.apps and core for the name of the maven modules