Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Get user device info

Level 2

Hello, guys, how are you?

I am wondering, is there a way I can get informations about the device the user is using to navigate the site, perhaps from the request object?
Namely, I'd be interested in informations such as the device group to which the user device belongs, and - ideally - informations about the screen size.

I did try adapting the request object to the Device.class, as well as retrieving (successfully so) an instance of the DeviceMapper and then calling the method deviceMapper.getDeviceInstance(request), but I have had zero luck obtaining a non-null instance of the Device class.

In general, I am dubious whether it is even possible to infer informations about the user's device e device's size while working server-side.

I would be very grateful if any of you had any considerations and were willing to illuminate me.

Thank you so much,

Parag.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @parag_dalal,

I am not sure why you are getting the device type; if this the only requirement then you can easily get it from User-Agent request header from the request in either sling model or wcmusepojo.like: request.getHeader("User-Agent");

But if your requirement is to use the device size resolution then I would go with viewport from the front-end rather than back-end java. because it will have some impact on your site performance ultimately.

Hope this will help.

Umesh Thakur

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @parag_dalal,

I am not sure why you are getting the device type; if this the only requirement then you can easily get it from User-Agent request header from the request in either sling model or wcmusepojo.like: request.getHeader("User-Agent");

But if your requirement is to use the device size resolution then I would go with viewport from the front-end rather than back-end java. because it will have some impact on your site performance ultimately.

Hope this will help.

Umesh Thakur

Level 2

This is the correct answer. Ideally, I would still be able to know the device size resolution on the back-end, without involving the front-end logic: but that's mainly because of our client's peculiar requirements.

Thank you, Umesh, for the prompt reply.

Community Advisor

@parag_dalal 

If you are doing it in server side, consider that the page will be cached and will always give the device info of the first requested device.

Level 2
Thanks, that's a useful observation: thanks for pointing it out.