Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Geospatial search 2018

Level 2

Hello,

After searching through the forum I learned that this question was last answered 3 years ago and I wanted to know if AEM now has any functionality that provides geospatial search now? And if not, what is the best practice for radius based searching by zip code in AEM?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Administrator

Can you please help me with the exact use-case? What do you want to achieve?

Are you talking about the search on the author instance or search for  the end-users on site to have geo-location based searching?

And yes, to the former you would need to implement something from Solr or others. Geo-spatial is just defining the  bounding box around the data to be searched.

Kautuk Sahni

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 10

OOTB - AEM does not support this. TO make this work in AEM - you will need to integrete a JS framework that supports this functionality into AEM.

This is similar to how ootb - AEM does not support Google Maps - but you can use that in AEM too by integrating the JS Lib.

Scott's Digital Community: Integrating custom CQ widgets with third-party libraries

This is an older community artilce - but gives you the idea that you need to integrete the lib that supports you use case into AEM.

Level 2

Thanks for the quick response. So would you say that using a JS framework is best practice instead of integrating solr? I found documentation on how to integrate solr into AEM but haven't seen many reviews of others using it or recommendations on what the best practices are within AEM.

Correct answer by
Administrator

Can you please help me with the exact use-case? What do you want to achieve?

Are you talking about the search on the author instance or search for  the end-users on site to have geo-location based searching?

And yes, to the former you would need to implement something from Solr or others. Geo-spatial is just defining the  bounding box around the data to be searched.

Kautuk Sahni

Level 2

Sure I meant a search for the end-users on a site to have geo-location based searching. The search is for different locations with the ability to enter in a zip code and mile radius, the content already contains lats and longs in the properties of possible results. And your last sentence might've just answered my question. Our current set up is using the querybuilder to query and find results. Just wanted to know if AEM developers recommended switching to solr for this use case or like smacdonald2008 mentioned, using a JS framework instead.

Administrator

This is more of the functionality that you would like to showcase in your site for the end-users. It is upto you to choose between writing custom code or using JS plugins. It all depends on the amount of data that you would need to filter out. If this is huge data, don't go with Js plugins.

This use-case require tons of coding.

Kautuk Sahni