Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Geolocation personalization on CQ 5.6.1

Level 2

Hi, all.

I noticed some problems after putting the Geolocation store on a production website, and I am wondering if it's related to API usage limits, as the problem does not occur in QA environment.

Do you have any experience using it in production sites? Am I supposed to use it in production at all? I couldn't find where to configure API keys or something like that on the Geolocation store.

Any direction on this subject will be much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

rcotta wrote...

Hi, Sham.

The region name (state) and city name is enough for our use case. So, just to confirm, this out of the box implementation is suitable for production websites, right?

Regards,

Most of customer I worked had additional requirements & ended implementing T&T/audiance aem integration or custom one.  If the one comes oob sufficient you can use for production but make sure to take care of below things. 

*   Test out especially at uk region if there is any restriction. 

*    It exposes internal ip make sure to overlay surferinfo/init.js.jsp and comment out. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 10

The AEM oob geolocation uses browesr HTML5 Geolocation object and hence key is not required. Also there is no restriction on limit I know from any browsers. I believe you are thinking we are using google geolocation api and that's not true.

Level 8

I think we'd need more details about your environment to be able to help. Do you use Dispatcher? 

scott

Level 2

Hi, Sham.

Re-reading my own question I noticed that I didn't make myself clear: the question is not about geolocation - I am aware that it uses HTML5 - but about GeoCoding, that transforms coordinates into something human readable, with country/state/city/street information.

CQ5 uses Google's APIs, as you can see on the file /libs/cq/personalization/components/contextstores/geolocation/clientlib/kernel/GeolocationUtils.js (search for the comment "Computes the address based on latitude and longitude and sets it in the according store.").

So, the question is still valid: may I have problems on using it on a production website?

Level 10

With out of box from clientcontext you can get region or country/countryCode and acts as reference guidelines. If you are looking for more granular as long as Geocoding api provides.  Example from [1] you can get street, zipcode etc.... For that need custom implementation for your production use. 

[1] http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/json?latlng=37.33938500000001,-121.894955&sensor=true

Level 2

Hi, Sham.

The region name (state) and city name is enough for our use case. So, just to confirm, this out of the box implementation is suitable for production websites, right?

Regards,

Correct answer by
Level 10

rcotta wrote...

Hi, Sham.

Regards,

Most of customer I worked had additional requirements & ended implementing T&T/audiance aem integration or custom one.  If the one comes oob sufficient you can use for production but make sure to take care of below things. 

*   Test out especially at uk region if there is any restriction. 

*    It exposes internal ip make sure to overlay surferinfo/init.js.jsp and comment out.