Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Error '"Error while creating tmp file.'

Level 1

Hey folks,

I'm attempting to upload a 316MB package to CQ use CRXDE - the import reaches 100% and then fails with the message "Error while creating tmp file." I had no issues with smaller packages, the only difference with this one is the size. Is there an upper limit on packages for upload? Do I need to clear out some tmp files or up some memory params? Any thought would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Gordon

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

This error is normally caused by you server configuration. When uploading a file to package manager CQ creates a temp file to hold the in progress upload of the binary. On a Unix/Linux server it creates in the /tmp directory. If you tmp directory is a seperate partition with limited size that can cause this error. CQ doesn't delete anything from /tmp either, instead relying on the system to clean it up, so if you are uploading multiple large files in a short period of time you may also be exceeding the size limit of your tmp partition. That only matters if you have a separate partition or otherwise limit the size of you /tmp directory. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 6

what is the content of this package?

Level 1

Hi, thanks for the follow up, the package consists of around 130 000 pages similar to the following:

<?xml version="1.0" ?><jcr:root jcr:primaryType="cq:Page" xmlns:cq="http://www.day.com/jcr/cq/1.0" xmlns:jcr="http://www.jcp.org/jcr/1.0" xmlns:nt="http://www.jcp.org/jcr/nt/1.0" xmlns:sling="http://sling.apache.org/jcr/sling/1.0"> <jcr:content cq:lastModified="2014-04-10T09:26:30.965-04:00" cq:lastModifiedBy="admin" cq:template="/apps/backstage/templates/generic" jcr:primaryType="cq:PageContent" jcr:title="To view zones " sling:resourceType="backstage/components/page/generic"><par jcr:primaryType="nt:unstructured" sling:resourceType="foundation/components/parsys"><text jcr:created="{Date}2014-06-12T12:43:30.918-04:00" jcr:createdBy="admin" jcr:lastModified="{Date}2014-06-12T12:45:26.449-04:00" jcr:lastModifiedBy="admin" jcr:primaryType="nt:unstructured" sling:resourceType="backstage/components/content/main/text" text="&lt;div&gt;&#x0A;&#x0A;&lt;h1 class&#61;&quot;title topictitle1&quot;&gt;To view zones &lt;/h1&gt;&#x0A;&lt;div class&#61;&quot;body taskbody&quot;&gt;&lt;div class&#61;&quot;section context&quot; id&#61;&quot;amc-view-zones-v2__context_013F0E97AABE4C79A16D711620312C50&quot;&gt;Zones can be viewed and configured in the console. For information on configuring zones, see &lt;a class&#61;&quot;xref&quot; href&#61;&quot;ps-console-zones-config-v2.html&quot;&gt;To configure zones and backup data collectors&lt;/a&gt;.&lt;/div&gt;&#x0A;&lt;ol class&#61;&quot;ol steps&quot; id&#61;&quot;amc-view-zones-v2__steps_4597D3F2AAF74A79B71EABB4D26665EC&quot;&gt;&lt;li class&#61;&quot;li step&quot; id&#61;&quot;amc-view-zones-v2__step_64733CD2FC3B4669B69C03AE6611137B&quot;&gt;&lt;span class&#61;&quot;ph cmd&quot;&gt;From the AppCenter, in the left pane, expand the &lt;span class&#61;&quot;ph uicontrol&quot;&gt;Zones&lt;/span&gt; node.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/li&gt;&#x0A;&lt;li class&#61;&quot;li step&quot; id&#61;&quot;amc-view-zones-v2__step_BAB437F7D8C9451CA4C95BD863479565&quot;&gt;&lt;span class&#61;&quot;ph cmd&quot;&gt;Under &lt;span class&#61;&quot;ph uicontrol&quot;&gt;Zones&lt;/span&gt;, select a zone. The results pane displays the servers in the chosen zone.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/li&gt;&#x0A;&lt;/ol&gt;&#x0A;&lt;/div&gt;&#x0A;&#x0A;&lt;p style&#61;&quot;font-size: 8pt !important&quot;/&gt;&#x0A;&lt;/div&gt;" textIsRich="true"/></par></jcr:content> </jcr:root>

Former Community Member

Check if you have enough disk space on the server. I also faced similar kind of issue while uploading the Larger package.  I cleared the files under /tmp

Level 6

ok, in my experience, when I tried to upload large content (DAM and site content) around 600MB through package manager then it took around 2 hours to upload.

Correct answer by
Level 8

This error is normally caused by you server configuration. When uploading a file to package manager CQ creates a temp file to hold the in progress upload of the binary. On a Unix/Linux server it creates in the /tmp directory. If you tmp directory is a seperate partition with limited size that can cause this error. CQ doesn't delete anything from /tmp either, instead relying on the system to clean it up, so if you are uploading multiple large files in a short period of time you may also be exceeding the size limit of your tmp partition. That only matters if you have a separate partition or otherwise limit the size of you /tmp directory. 

Level 1

Many thanks for the responses guys. I'll follow up to confirm what worked.

Level 1

What have you done for this error