Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

enabling GZIP in AEM/dispatcher/web

Level 4

I am trying to enable GZip so that pages are served in compressed format. I could find only Apache 1.3 specific information in the dispatcher configuration documents as listed below.. Do we have alternative for later version of Apache?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Compression (Apache 1.3 only)

On Apache 1.3 web servers you can compress the cached documents. Commpression allows Apache to return the document in a compressed form if so requested by the client.

NOTE

Currently only the gzip format is supported.

Only applicable for Apache 1.3.

The following rule caches all documents in compressed form; Apache can return either the uncompressed or the compressed form to the client:

/rules
{
 /rulelabel { /glob "*" /type "allow" /compress "gzip" }
}

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,

Anil

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi,

You should enable gzip compression on both AEM (as mentioned by @bsloki) and on the webserver. When you use apache, you can use the usual mod_deflate.

kind regards,
Jörg

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 10

You can enable gzip in OSGi configuration aswell from the configMgr for 'Day CQ HTML Library Manager'

For dispatcher, Document says its applicable for Apache 1.3, however did you try on the latest version ? 

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi,

You should enable gzip compression on both AEM (as mentioned by @bsloki) and on the webserver. When you use apache, you can use the usual mod_deflate.

kind regards,
Jörg

Level 2

What's the benfit here of gzipping on AEM? If Apache takes care of gzipping everything - what's the value here of doing it on AEM as well? My colleague is suggesting that gzipping stuff on AEM is actually providing zero benefit since Dispatcher will decompress the response from AEM anyway... So what's the point?