Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.
SOLVED

Dynamically populate the value in one dropdown based on other dropdown selection

Level 2

Hi Team,

In dialog there are two drop downs, values are coming from backend usingservlet call. Once the author selects the field in dropdown i need to make the call to another servlet based on first drop down selected value and show the options. How to achieve this, i am using classic ui. Please help.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

As you are working in Classic UI - to perform this use case, you need to write a custom xtype. In the code of the custom xtype, you can invoke the servlet. 

Details here on how to write a custom xtype that shows how to populate a 2nd field based on the 1st selection (in your use case, populate the 2nd with the values returned from the servlet):

Scott's Digital Community: Dynamically updating AEM custom xtype fields

Hope this helps....

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

As you are working in Classic UI - to perform this use case, you need to write a custom xtype. In the code of the custom xtype, you can invoke the servlet. 

Details here on how to write a custom xtype that shows how to populate a 2nd field based on the 1st selection (in your use case, populate the 2nd with the values returned from the servlet):

Scott's Digital Community: Dynamically updating AEM custom xtype fields

Hope this helps....

Level 2

Hi smacdonald2008​,

Thanks for the prompt reply!

My query is still not resolved, i can elaborate my question more:  Based on first drop down selected value i need to pass it as a parameter to the second drop down's servlet and again once the user select the second drop down value there is third drop down which makes a call to third servlet with second drop down selected value as a parameter.

Level 10

Its still the same answer - you need to code business logic in the xtype JS file (the custom xtype). Other than using custom JAVAScript logic implemented as a custom xtype - there is no other way to implement this use case.

Level 10

Here is an older article that can guide you on how to call a servlet from a custom xtype -- Scott's Digital Community: Invoking Sling Servlets from AEM xtype widgets