Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Does AEM 6.5 support incoming email?

Level 4

I'm having a hard time searching for someone to be able to send email to an AEM instance then have a workflow that can process it. 

The use case would be for some service to send an email to an AEM instance where a workflow can then process the email and any attachments. The idea is that a sales document is created and sent to a sales representative who manually does something with that email The idea would be to add a running instance of AEM to the list and then a workflow could process the email and store information in the DAM so that it would be available to the agency instead of the sales rep. saving in a private drive.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @Robert-Harper -

If you want to save the email in the AEM DAM - 

1. Can create a custom servlet that accepts an email message and its attachments as input and upload into DAM programmatically. The email and attachments can be uploaded to DAM individually and a reference can be established by saving the attachment DAM path on the original email asset properties. It will be saved in DAM with an email message specific mime type.

OR

1. Use AEM HTTP Assets API to do the asset (email) upload, but this may not give enough flexibility in terms of managing email attachments. Ref: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-65/assets/extending/mac-api-assets.html?l...

2. A Workflow listener can be set up for such upload events to initiate a workflow that eventually executes the processing logic.

Please share further details if my understanding of your requirement is incorrect.

Thanks,

Fani

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @Robert-Harper -

If you want to save the email in the AEM DAM - 

1. Can create a custom servlet that accepts an email message and its attachments as input and upload into DAM programmatically. The email and attachments can be uploaded to DAM individually and a reference can be established by saving the attachment DAM path on the original email asset properties. It will be saved in DAM with an email message specific mime type.

OR

1. Use AEM HTTP Assets API to do the asset (email) upload, but this may not give enough flexibility in terms of managing email attachments. Ref: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-65/assets/extending/mac-api-assets.html?l...

2. A Workflow listener can be set up for such upload events to initiate a workflow that eventually executes the processing logic.

Please share further details if my understanding of your requirement is incorrect.

Thanks,

Fani

Level 4

I was thinking I could probably write a service to connect to a mail server and process mail items that way. I've done something similar in other environments. A scheduler with a CRON expression could check several times a day and process any new messages.