Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Design and Process - kick-off of AEM project

Level 1

Hi All,

A large client is making the leap to AEM. Its going to require a restaff on our side, as well as a large planning and process stage.

Its also a return to Java after a long vacation in PHP.

My query is, what are the key points you've learnt? What are the standout tips you wished you had before your first build in AEM. I'm entirely cognizant that the framework has a steep learning curve, and we should be treading carefully.

Thank you so much for you consideration and time!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

Hi Andrew,

Before you start make sure you have right infrastructure with you. Configure your machine with 8 GB RAM (4 GB also work), 64 bit windows(incase using windows) and use Mozilla for AEM development.

If you are aware how big your project could be in terms of number of visitors to your website, expected load and also considering performance you could decide with number of publish instance, author instance and dispatcher configuration ( for big website could use 2 level of caching).

You could use Eclipse instead of CRXDE for application development and use Maven for deployment of packages and bundles to CQ5 instance.   

If your website dealing with large digital asset ( specially videos) you could use brightcove or scene 7 instead of using DAM. This will help in increase performance. Please refer http://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/kb/performancetuningtips.html also.

For recommended project structure and development kit you could refer Adobe Developer work book to educate developers.

Regards

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Employee Advisor

If you and your tem are new to AEM development, I would strongly suggest to engage with Adobe Consulting for a mentoring program. They can guide you to avoid common pitfalls and support you in many ways, starting from the setup of your development environment to PROD environment setup and sizing till application design and API usage.

Jörg

disclaimer: I am working for Adobe consulting.

Level 1

Andrew,

FIrst, Godspeed and good luck on your project.  I don't mean that cynical but after going through this process recently, I'll confirm for you that the project will test your team in many ways (aptitude, patience, stamina, etc).  But it also sounds like you've done your homework and can lead the team. 

One recommendation I have would be to pick up a copy of "Ryan Lunka's AEM: Classroom in a Book".  If you're familiar with the tradition CiB series from Adobe, I'll tell you that this book is much different.  Since each installation is so different, the book doesn't attempt to give you all the answers.  Instead, it introduces you to many new concepts around AEM (of which there are many) and helps you as a project manager to think through all the topics that NEED to be considered before jumping into a planning session.  Looking back, I really wish the book had been available before we jumped into our implementation – hopefully my situation can help you out in some way.

Keep us posted on your progress!

-Scott

Correct answer by
Level 5

Hi Andrew,

Before you start make sure you have right infrastructure with you. Configure your machine with 8 GB RAM (4 GB also work), 64 bit windows(incase using windows) and use Mozilla for AEM development.

If you are aware how big your project could be in terms of number of visitors to your website, expected load and also considering performance you could decide with number of publish instance, author instance and dispatcher configuration ( for big website could use 2 level of caching).

You could use Eclipse instead of CRXDE for application development and use Maven for deployment of packages and bundles to CQ5 instance.   

If your website dealing with large digital asset ( specially videos) you could use brightcove or scene 7 instead of using DAM. This will help in increase performance. Please refer http://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/kb/performancetuningtips.html also.

For recommended project structure and development kit you could refer Adobe Developer work book to educate developers.

Regards