Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024-2025 Adobe Experience Manager Champion Program are open!

Custom UI Console for AEM Groups and Users

Community Advisor

Hi AEM Community,

I have a requirement to create custom UI console for AEM Groups and Users.

We want to search user by the email and then apply CRUD operations on Group memberships.

Rohan_Garg_0-1689562463784.png

Upon submit button we want to maintain a log of the changes made and store the changes in a YAML file for user configuration.

What would be the best approach to do so ?

The current AEM Users and Groups console works as below - 

Click on Users Tile in Security - redirects to /security/users.html

Select a user from the listing - redirects to /mnt/overlay/granite/security/content/v2/usereditor.html%2Fhome%2Fusers%2Fwknd%2Fl28HasMYWAMHAaGkv-Lj

This request returns coral response for all the tabs - Details | Groups | Keystore | Profiles | Impersonators

Approach 1 - Should we overlay these calls and add a new event to Save and Close button to update the YAML?

If yes, is there a documentation on these API calls for /security/users.html and /mnt/overlay/granite/security/content/v2/usereditor.html ?

Approach 2 - Create a custom Coral UI console from scratch. Add an omni search component filtered for emails and user User Management APIs to fetch and save Groups along with YAML Updation.

Any other approaches for the same problem would also be welcomed!

Thanks in advance,

Rohan Garg

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

5 Replies

Employee

I would suggest to use AEM OOTB features for User and Groups Management.

As in Approach 1 - if you only want to update YAML file for log details then you can do with the help of Sling filter.

when you save any user details with OOTB UI then there is a POST call with url -

/home/users/<user-id>.userprops.html

You can write a filter as below  - 

@component
@SlingServletFilter(scope = {SlingServletFilterScope.REQUEST},
pattern = "/home/users/.*",
extensions = {"html"},
selectors = {"userprops"},
methods = {"POST"})

public class TrackLogFilter implements Filter {
private static final Logger log = LoggerFactory.getLogger(TrackLogFilter.class);
@Override
public void init(FilterConfig filterConfig) throws ServletException {
}

@Override
public void doFilter(ServletRequest request, ServletResponse response, FilterChain chain)
throws IOException, ServletException {

//Logic to track the LOG and write in YAML file.

chain.doFilter(request, response);

}

Note : this will make some impact on the performance.

Community Advisor

@Nishant-Singh - Thank you for the reply! In case of using OOTB Users and Groups, there are few things I need to overlay and modify. Do you have any pointers to the documentation for below files?

API calls for -

• /security/users.html
  • /mnt/overlay/granite/security/content/v2/usereditor.html 

Employee

if you want to do some modifications in OOTB UI then better to go with Javascript approach and not overlay OOTB code.

Example to add fields in User editor :

http://experience-aem.blogspot.com/2015/09/aem-61-touch-ui-add-new-fields-to-user-editor-and-save-to...

for /security/users.html screen modification you can get the reference from below post : 

http://experience-aem.blogspot.com/2015/09/aem-61-touch-ui-add-new-column-to-assets-console-list-vie...

Community Advisor

@Nishant-Singh - I don't want to add fields in User Editor as such.

What we want to do is filter for the groups a user is tagged to via email.

I have checked the OOTB flow and it looks rather complicated. The overlaying might not be the best option for it.

I will create a custom console wherein we will find group names via email IDs.

@kautuk_sahni - I think there is scope of improvement in terms of documentation for Users and Groups console. AEM's OTB APIs for pulling in user data and displaying groups and updating it on fly. The flow of control for this part is not documented.

Community Advisor

Hi All,

So the way we implemented this by custom console as shown below- 

1.  Call below servlet and get authorizable data for the user with input email ID 

/bin/security/authorizables.json

2. Maintain 2 arrays - one for available custom groups and other for current assigned custom groups.

Filter and maintain the arrays using JS until the user clicks on Save/Submit button

3. Once user clicks on Save trigger another servlet passing principal ID for the groups to the servlet.

Iterate over the List checking if the user is already member of the group or not. If not then add the member to the group.

boolean userAdded = userGroup.addMember(userManager.getAuthorizable(principalName));

4. Send 200 OK response and triggered forced reload.

Note - This solution was built only to assign users custom groups that were created for our project.