Expand my Community achievements bar.

Don’t miss the AEM Skill Exchange in SF on Nov 14—hear from industry leaders, learn best practices, and enhance your AEM strategy with practical tips.
SOLVED

Custom Authentication Handler- trust_credentials_attribute

Level 2

In my custom authentication handler I'm trying to authenticate user without knowing his password using third party user directory. I can\t store users password inside the CQ so I need a way to pass user through the stack knowing just his name/id.

I used to handle those kind of problems with trust_credentials_attribute set in the repository.xml. However, in AEM 5.6 and 5.6.1, when given solution is used, following log entry appears:

25.11.2013 11:52:10.469 *WARN* [0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 [1385376730454] POST /content/myapp/en/home/j_security_check HTTP/1.1] org.apache.jackrabbit.core.security.authentication.AbstractLoginModule Usage of deprecated 'trust_credentials_attribute' option. Please note that for security reasons this feature will notbe supported in future releases.

The warning was introduced with a commit for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-3293. The bug is not closed yet and there is no info how the trusted info can/should be avoided. Is it so, that the @deprecated annotation together with log has been introduced, but the workaround is not yet delivered? How can I pass the user through authenticator without knowing its password?

Please advice,
Mateusz

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

preferred solution depends on where/why you make use of the trust_credentials_attribute.

implement an custom loginmodule wherein it override isPreAuthenticated method also & deploy as OSGi fragment.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

preferred solution depends on where/why you make use of the trust_credentials_attribute.

implement an custom loginmodule wherein it override isPreAuthenticated method also & deploy as OSGi fragment.

Level 2

"where/why": as being said - I'm not storing users password in the repository. I'm using my own implementation of AuthenticationHandler to fulfill all user journeys.

Regarding implementation - to paraphrase: JCR via

AbstractLoginModule.isPreAuthenticated(Credentials)

method provides a way to authenticate user without password. This method takes advantage of trust_credentials_attribute. The point of this warning is (when using this 'authenticate without password' feature) to write this snippet from scratch? How does it meet the @deprecated annotation on both isPreAuthenticated() and getPreAuthAttributeName() ?