Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

create pages programmatically and also populate their content?

Level 2

Hello, is it possible to create pages programmatically and also populate their content? For example, I have a project that needs to be migrated to AEM, but it has 100 pages and their content needs to be transferred to AEM. How could this effort be minimized?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Yes, it is possible. AEM provides various APIs and tools that allow you to automate the process of creating and migrating pages with their content, but, It's essential to thoroughly understand the structure of your existing project, the content types, and the relationships between different pieces of content. Plan out your migration strategy, including how you'll map content from the old system to AEM's structure, templates, and components.

Consider the following available resources:

1. Use AEM APIs: AEM provides RESTful APIs and Java APIs that allow you to interact with the AEM repository programmatically. You can use these APIs to create pages, update content, and manage assets. The AEM Java API, in particular, provides a high level of control over content creation and manipulation.

2. Content Import Tools: AEM offers tools like the Content Package Maven Plugin that allow you to define your content structure and migrate it using versioned content packages. You can create a content package that includes the page templates, components, assets, and content required for your project and then deploy it to AEM instances.

3. Scripting: You can use server-side scripting languages like Groovy or JAVA to automate content creation and population. This could involve writing scripts that iterate through your existing content and programmatically create AEM pages and populate them with content.

4. Custom Workflow: You can design custom workflows using AEM's Workflow Model Editor to automate the migration process. Workflows can be triggered when content is imported or based on specific events, and they can perform tasks such as creating pages, setting properties, and populating content.

5. Template-Based Pages: Define page templates and components in AEM that closely match the structure and design of your existing project. Then, you can programmatically create new pages based on these templates and populate them with content.

6. Metadata and Tags: Leverage AEM's metadata and tagging capabilities to help categorize and organize your content during migration. This can make it easier to automate content population based on metadata.

With that said, I suggest examining the structure you intend to replicate. Subsequently, develop a script that constructs the structure outlined in your analysis, and finally, execute the script.

I hope this helps

Esteban Bustamante

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Yes, it is possible. AEM provides various APIs and tools that allow you to automate the process of creating and migrating pages with their content, but, It's essential to thoroughly understand the structure of your existing project, the content types, and the relationships between different pieces of content. Plan out your migration strategy, including how you'll map content from the old system to AEM's structure, templates, and components.

Consider the following available resources:

1. Use AEM APIs: AEM provides RESTful APIs and Java APIs that allow you to interact with the AEM repository programmatically. You can use these APIs to create pages, update content, and manage assets. The AEM Java API, in particular, provides a high level of control over content creation and manipulation.

2. Content Import Tools: AEM offers tools like the Content Package Maven Plugin that allow you to define your content structure and migrate it using versioned content packages. You can create a content package that includes the page templates, components, assets, and content required for your project and then deploy it to AEM instances.

3. Scripting: You can use server-side scripting languages like Groovy or JAVA to automate content creation and population. This could involve writing scripts that iterate through your existing content and programmatically create AEM pages and populate them with content.

4. Custom Workflow: You can design custom workflows using AEM's Workflow Model Editor to automate the migration process. Workflows can be triggered when content is imported or based on specific events, and they can perform tasks such as creating pages, setting properties, and populating content.

5. Template-Based Pages: Define page templates and components in AEM that closely match the structure and design of your existing project. Then, you can programmatically create new pages based on these templates and populate them with content.

6. Metadata and Tags: Leverage AEM's metadata and tagging capabilities to help categorize and organize your content during migration. This can make it easier to automate content population based on metadata.

With that said, I suggest examining the structure you intend to replicate. Subsequently, develop a script that constructs the structure outlined in your analysis, and finally, execute the script.

I hope this helps

Esteban Bustamante

Community Advisor

@Johnhenao10 ,

You can definitely create pages programmatically in AEM. You need to use Page Manager API and Node Api to create pages and nodes under them.

Please see this link to get a general idea of which APIs are involved in page creation: https://www.albinsblog.com/2014/12/programmatically-create-page-in-cq5.html

https://www.tadigital.com/insights/perspectives/steps-successful-aem-content-migration

Level 5

Previously provided responses are going to help you build pages probably in the way you desire. But I can share a bit of my expedience here. See technically you are migrating from a different source. As mentioned in the 1st reply it's crucial you have a migration strategy. It's not about just the apis, but you need to have a plan for assets, clientlibs (js css), redirects if applicable etc. You will end up writing different apis to migrate, but understand that it's not going to be super quick and depends on your source system and if any body has a readily available adapter to migrate content based on your source. Sof I I were you I would propose to revisit if we want to bring in all the content from src system or if there is something to drop off. Then decide if the effort to write apis to bring inside aem vs creating them manually. Depending on your purpose of reusing this migration utility in future you may have to decide what's the right investment. Migrations are usually tricky, but then it's the man power and a good strategy decides the right path. Hope this insights help you. Thanks.