Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Create Flush Agents on Author to run on Publisher

Level 2

I've seen older instructions to create flush agents directly on publishers (When one chose to run them on the publisher instead of the author).  I see from the current documentation the recommendation is to create the flush agents on the author under the "Agents on Publish" node then activate them and they run on the publisher.  I tested this out on my lab environment the other day and it worked fine. So on all of our existing AEM 6.0 and AEM 6.1 instances, the flush agents were created directly on the publishers and I've heard no complaints nor seen any problems.  

So my questions.  

1. Can anyone tell me the advantages of creating them on the author to run on the publisher?

2. Should I reconfigure my existing environments? (Delete the flush agents from the publishers and recreate the on the authors)

Thanks

Ned

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

1.Best practice is always to create anything on Author instance and then activate it to Publish instance. 

As in production environment, we should restrict the access to all of these consoles, we cant create these agents directly on publishers. Hence the same has to be created under 'agents on publish' in the author instance and activate it to publish instance.

You can configure directly on publish instance aswell and its one and the same but essentially, you should have blocked to access them directly on publisher due to security.

Next advantage is that, you can manage all the Flush Agents for every publishers from the single place.

2. You dont have to reconfigure again. It still works.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

1.Best practice is always to create anything on Author instance and then activate it to Publish instance. 

As in production environment, we should restrict the access to all of these consoles, we cant create these agents directly on publishers. Hence the same has to be created under 'agents on publish' in the author instance and activate it to publish instance.

You can configure directly on publish instance aswell and its one and the same but essentially, you should have blocked to access them directly on publisher due to security.

Next advantage is that, you can manage all the Flush Agents for every publishers from the single place.

2. You dont have to reconfigure again. It still works.

Level 2

Thanks for the quick response.  We do restrict access to our publishers, this was all configured during the initial installation. I will update our install guide.

Ned