Bulk Editor has been around with since a long time. It has been a useful tool for making mass edits to node/resource properties.
However, the OOTB Bulk editor implementation is a legacy one, based on classic UI. Also, from a functionality standpoint as well, there are some limitations:
1. Import-Export of data is not available: OOTB Bulk Editor supports exporting the search results in the form of a TSV file. However, there is no way to update the properties and import it back in AEM.
2. Absence of mechanism to add new properties: There is no way to add new properties in the OOTB Bulk Editor.
3. Legacy Query Language for search: OOTB Bulk Editor supports GQL for searching.
4. Absence of interactive shell: OOTB Bulk Editor doesn’t come with an interactive shell for updating the properties without import-export mechanism.
I have been working on developing a Touch UI Based implementation of the aforesaid concept, aiming to fill the aforesaid gaps. I have able to come up with a bleeding edge version. The new touch ui based implementation comes with following features :
1. Support for different query Language : JCR SQL 2, XPATH & Query Builder Map.
2. Export - Import based data update
3. Interactive shell for updating the properties.
The Tool comes with a tabbed layout. There are 3 tabs:
1. Search Tab : This tab enables the users to enter a search query in a query language of their choice and export the results in the form of an Excel spreadsheet.
2. Import Tab: The users can do bulk updates to the content by updating the spreadsheet downloaded in the previous tab and then uploading it.
3. Update Tab: This tab enables the users to update the content nodes corresponding to a query with actually downloading the content.
I have prepared a video recording showing the teaser of the functionality. Please have a look:
If you have any query or suggestion then kindly comment here.
Thanks for posting this. What property types can be bulk updated with this method?
In the old bulk editor, it was only string values that could be updated via a tsv import.
Hey Namit, kautuksahni,
Is this custom implementation available for aem community members. We have a requirement to bulk move date type property from one place to other. And above suggested solutions seems perfect fit to our requirement.