Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Context Aware Configuration - is it even being used? and what kind of information would we like to store?

Level 6

Hi, 

Just wondering if anyone is using Context Aware Configuration, and if so, you you please answer some of my questions? I have this setup, but I don't think this useful at all... I mean, I don't know what configuration would I store here... why can't I just store some site settings in the page properties tab?

1. Are you even using this feature with AEM?

2. I'm very use to AEM OSGI configurations, which configuration for each env can be used for our backend services, but like Context Aware Configuration is not by environment... so how can this be useful?

3. Can you please give me a scenario for what kind of configuration we would store in the Context Aware Configuration.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Please review my response -

Yes, I am using Context Aware Configuration in my project.

2. I'm very use to AEM OSGI configurations, which configuration for each env can be used for our backend services, but like Context Aware Configuration is not by environment... so how can this be useful?

When Site specific configuration will be required in that case, we need to use Context Aware Configuration. Please refer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj6enQrdaE0 .

3. Can you please give me a scenario for what kind of configuration we would store in the Context Aware Configuration.

Please review the use cases below and these will give you detail overview about implementation -

Solved: Re: Context Aware Configuration for multi tenant s... - Adobe Experience League Community - ...

Solved: Re: Dynamically choose different participant as ap... - Adobe Experience League Community - ...

Solved: Re: AEM Workflow - Adobe Experience League Community - 449447

Solved: Re: Context Aware - ConfigurationBuilder.as() is r... - Adobe Experience League Community - ...

Solved: Re: Dynamic Client Libraries generation specific t... - Adobe Experience League Community - ...

To answer your point "why can't I just store some site settings in the page properties tab" -

We need to consider two points here 1. We shouldn't allow content authors to make sudden changes at configuration. We have to be very cautious while defining the approach. and 2. effort 

Hope this will help.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Community Advisor

Hello @AEMWizard 

Content-aware configurations are an easy way to store configs that dependent on page hierarchy. Specially if a customer has multiple sites on AEM, it can be really useful to drive site-specific configs.

1. Are you even using this feature with AEM? - Yes. In multiple projects

OSGi

- OSGi is a good option, when some is runmode driven. Or a config thats applicable for an entire/all env.

- It is recommended to be deployed via code base. 

- In case of AEM as a cloud service, you need deployment to update OSGi configs

Context-aware configs:

- the configurations can easily be accessed/updated/maintained by authors via Content-aware pages

- Since, they are created at the same level in hierarchy, where they are supposed to take effect, its easy understand.

- Good way to maintain site specific configs

3. Can you please give me a scenario for what kind of configuration we would store in the Context Aware Configuration

- Covered in the above comments

Aanchal Sikka

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Please review my response -

Yes, I am using Context Aware Configuration in my project.

When Site specific configuration will be required in that case, we need to use Context Aware Configuration. Please refer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj6enQrdaE0 .

Please review the use cases below and these will give you detail overview about implementation -

Solved: Re: Context Aware Configuration for multi tenant s... - Adobe Experience League Community - ...

Solved: Re: Dynamically choose different participant as ap... - Adobe Experience League Community - ...

Solved: Re: AEM Workflow - Adobe Experience League Community - 449447

Solved: Re: Context Aware - ConfigurationBuilder.as() is r... - Adobe Experience League Community - ...

Solved: Re: Dynamic Client Libraries generation specific t... - Adobe Experience League Community - ...

To answer your point "why can't I just store some site settings in the page properties tab" -

We need to consider two points here 1. We shouldn't allow content authors to make sudden changes at configuration. We have to be very cautious while defining the approach. and 2. effort 

Hope this will help.