Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Can i migrate AEM 6.0 to AEM 6.3 with the war file?

Former Community Member

Hi all

The migration guide (Performing an In-Place Upgrade)​ says that it is important to bring up the instance with the quickstart jar file. But what I tried is doing the migration with the quickstart war file. Is this possible too or do I have necessariily have to use the self executing jar file? The way I did does not trigger any upgrade process. Apache Felix is not coming up, the first bundle it tries to load fails with the following message:

06-Dec-2017 10:38:11.770 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log granite: Setting sling.home=C:\apache-tomcat-8.5.24-author\bin\author (servlet parameter sling.home)

06-Dec-2017 10:38:11.775 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log granite: Sling  Extension Lib Home : C:\apache-tomcat-8.5.24-author\bin\author\launchpad\ext

06-Dec-2017 10:38:11.783 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log granite: Checking launcher JAR in C:\apache-tomcat-8.5.24-author\bin\author

06-Dec-2017 10:38:11.783 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log granite: Checking launcher JAR in folder C:\apache-tomcat-8.5.24-author\bin\author\launchpad

06-Dec-2017 10:38:11.791 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log granite: Existing launcher is up to date, using it: 5.6.0.2_6_10-B001 (org.apache.sling.launchpad.base.jar)

06-Dec-2017 10:38:11.794 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log granite: Loading launcher class org.apache.sling.launchpad.base.webapp.SlingServletDelegate from org.apache.sling.launchpad.base.jar

06-Dec-2017 10:38:11.795 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log granite: External Libs Home (ext) is null or does not exists.

06-Dec-2017 10:38:11.803 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log granite: Starting launcher ...

06-Dec-2017 10:38:11.803 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log granite: Starting Apache Sling in C:\apache-tomcat-8.5.24-author\bin\author

06-Dec-2017 10:38:13.582 SEVERE [FelixStartLevel] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log ERROR: Error starting slinginstall:C:\apache-tomcat-8.5.24-author\bin\author\launchpad\startup\0\org.apache.felix.http.bridge-2.2.0.jar (org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to resolve org.apache.felix.http.bridge [1](R 1.1): missing requirement [org.apache.felix.http.bridge [1](R 1.1)] osgi.ee; (&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version=1.6)) Unresolved requirements: [[org.apache.felix.http.bridge [1](R 1.1)] osgi.ee; (&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version=1.6))])

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to resolve org.apache.felix.http.bridge [1](R 1.1): missing requirement [org.apache.felix.http.bridge [1](R 1.1)] osgi.ee; (&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version=1.6)) Unresolved requirements: [[org.apache.felix.http.bridge [1](R 1.1)] osgi.ee; (&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version=1.6))]

at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.resolveBundleRevision(Felix.java:4112)

at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.startBundle(Felix.java:2118)

at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.setActiveStartLevel(Felix.java:1372)

at org.apache.felix.framework.FrameworkStartLevelImpl.run(FrameworkStartLevelImpl.java:308)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

I feel like Apache Felix and Sling are still in the old version..

Thanks,

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Thanks for all the input so far!

I got it working!

I had a lot of dependency resolving errors on Sling startup saying that Java 6 and JAva 7 where missing... I don't really get it. But in the end the following lines made it work:

# prepended "JavaSE-1.8" here

ee-1.8=JavaSE-1.8,JavaSE-1.7,JavaSE-1.6,J2SE-1.5,J2SE-1.4,J2SE-1.3, J2SE-1.2,JRE-1.1,JRE-1.0,OSGi/Minimum-1.2,OSGi/Minimum-1.1, OSGi/Minimum-1.0

# appended "1.8" here

eecap-1.8=osgi.ee; osgi.ee\="OSGi/Minimum"; version\:List<Version>\="1.0,1.1,1.2", osgi.ee; osgi.ee\="JavaSE"; version\:List<Version>\="1.0,1.1,1.2,1.3,1.4,1.5,1.6,1.7,1.8"

I don't really get why I had to do this manually, though..

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Level 8

It is possible. I have been using 2 instances of AEM on the same weblogic. Are you doing a vanila AEM 6.0 to AEM 6.3 migration ?
Can you elaborate the steps you performed so far?

Level 10

I recommend following the official docs when upgrading. If you run into issues and followed the docs exactly - open a support ticket as they can help you if you require a hotfix.

Former Community Member

Hi Hermant

Thanks for your reply. I saw that there is documentation for migrating web application server installations here: Upgrade Steps for Application Server Installations

I followed the steps except for the repository migration, because we already use crx3 with mongo. When starting the Tomcat, Sling does not startup successfully.

I'm now comparing the installation folders of my migrated instance with a freseh AEM 6.3, Tomcat, tarMK installation.

Level 10

Also - if you follow the doc exactly and run to issue - please open a support ticket. You may require a patch that they can provide.

Employee Advisor

I don't have an appserver instance handy, but please validate your sling.properties file. Have you followed the documentation at [1]? I covers an upgrade from 5.6.1 to 6.3 (not from 6.0), but it might give you good hints what to do. I would recommend to review the section about modification of the sling.properties file.

[1] Upgrade Steps for Application Server Installations

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Thanks for all the input so far!

I got it working!

I had a lot of dependency resolving errors on Sling startup saying that Java 6 and JAva 7 where missing... I don't really get it. But in the end the following lines made it work:

# prepended "JavaSE-1.8" here

ee-1.8=JavaSE-1.8,JavaSE-1.7,JavaSE-1.6,J2SE-1.5,J2SE-1.4,J2SE-1.3, J2SE-1.2,JRE-1.1,JRE-1.0,OSGi/Minimum-1.2,OSGi/Minimum-1.1, OSGi/Minimum-1.0

# appended "1.8" here

eecap-1.8=osgi.ee; osgi.ee\="OSGi/Minimum"; version\:List<Version>\="1.0,1.1,1.2", osgi.ee; osgi.ee\="JavaSE"; version\:List<Version>\="1.0,1.1,1.2,1.3,1.4,1.5,1.6,1.7,1.8"

I don't really get why I had to do this manually, though..

Level 10

Thank you for posting the solution.

Level 2

Beside that your workaround is now fixed in AEM 6.3 SP3, I experienced a Problem with some OSGi bundles. In my case it was the ehcache 3.6.0 bundle, but I think there are a lot more, so I put this information in this thread, maybe someone will find it useful.

First I checked the instance config at localhost:4502/system/console/status-slingprops:

org.osgi.framework.system.capabilities = osgi.ee; osgi.ee="OSGi/Minimum"; version:List<Version>="1.0,1.1,1.2", osgi.ee; osgi.ee="JavaSE"; version:List<Version>="1.0,1.1,1.2,1.3,1.4,1.5,1.6,1.7,1.8"

-> so everything is fine.

When I upload the bundle within felix console everything is fine, but if I try to use the auto install "/crx-quickstart/install" the bundle write the following error log

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to resolve ehcache [1337](R 1337.2): missing requirement [ehcache [1337](R 1337.2)] osgi.ee; (&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version=1.8)) Unresolved requirements: [[ehcache [1337](R 1337.2)] osgi.ee; (&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version=1.8))]

It seem to me that AEM auto install still uses the old LDAP search version filter for Require-Capabilities, see Bug-Report below:

[FELIX-4640] missing (&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version=1.8)) when embedding in org.apache.felix.framework -...

My lesson learned: Try to upload the bundle in felix directly to test if there is a problem with AEM auto install.

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----