Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Best approach for AEM PROD to STAGE Content Syncing for On-Prem setup???

Level 1

Hi Folks,

I have a small challenge here about the content synching from PROD to STAGE environment. Here is my client env setup.

1. AEM On Prem version 6.5.19

2. Lower environments are without SSO - DEV, LT, INT

3. Higher Environments are on SSO authentication - STAGE and PROD.

Having browsed through the community, Questions, Blogs and documentation, I got to know below approaches to copy/clone/sync contents from cross environments.

1. Create ZIP package using package manager and install on STAGE
  2. Use Replication Agent to also move content from PROD to STAGE.
  3. CRX2OAK Tool
  4. VLT Remote Copy
  5. Grabbit
  6. ACS common Content Sync

First 2 approaches in my project case is way too heavy, due to huge amount of /content/dam and /content/<sites>. While I was checking ACS Common content sync on the documentation, I see only username password usage there. Is it possible to use environments having SSO integrations, like in my case?

Other tools, CRX2OAK, VLT-RCP or Grabbit, not sure if they are supported or safe or feasible to use.

Appreciate your thoughts and pointers.

KR,

Prasanna

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@gkalyan Please check below URL:

https://medium.com/globant/aem-content-synchronization-cb1e15b0c3f8

Based on the pros and cons of the tools, there is no single best option for content sync, all depends on your project status, the instance size, and requirement. If you are looking to move a small piece of content or a small list of assets Package Manager is the easiest way to solve it. But if you are trying to move GB or TB of content and assets then Vault RCP or Grabbit is the best option. Sometimes we don’t have enough permission on the different instances to install or make troubleshooting. If that’s the case then Vault RCP could be the best option because you can run it from your local as long as you don’t have any firewall rules blocking access to the source and target servers. If that’s not the case then Grabbit is the option for faster synchronisation.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 8
Based on the setup and requirements, I would recommend trying the ACS Common Content Sync tool first. It's an official Adobe tool, and with proper configuration, it should work with your SSO-enabled environments.

If ACS Common Content Sync doesn't meet your needs or you encounter issues, you can explore the vlt-rcp or Grabbit options as both tools are widely used and should be able to handle content synchronization with SSO-enabled environments.

Check out this article 

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@gkalyan Please check below URL:

https://medium.com/globant/aem-content-synchronization-cb1e15b0c3f8

Based on the pros and cons of the tools, there is no single best option for content sync, all depends on your project status, the instance size, and requirement. If you are looking to move a small piece of content or a small list of assets Package Manager is the easiest way to solve it. But if you are trying to move GB or TB of content and assets then Vault RCP or Grabbit is the best option. Sometimes we don’t have enough permission on the different instances to install or make troubleshooting. If that’s the case then Vault RCP could be the best option because you can run it from your local as long as you don’t have any firewall rules blocking access to the source and target servers. If that’s not the case then Grabbit is the option for faster synchronisation.

Level 10

Hi @prsn1034 ,

When it comes to syncing content from a production (PROD) environment to a staging (STAGE) environment in an AEM on-premises setup, there are several approaches you can consider. Here are some options to explore:

1. **Package Manager**: Creating a ZIP package using the Package Manager and installing it on the STAGE environment is a common approach. However, as you mentioned, it may not be suitable for large amounts of content due to performance considerations.

2. **Replication Agent**: Using a Replication Agent to move content from PROD to STAGE is another option. This approach leverages AEM's built-in replication functionality. However, it may also have performance implications, especially for large content sets.

3. **CRX2OAK Tool**: The CRX2OAK tool is a command-line tool provided by Adobe that allows you to export and import content between AEM instances. It can be used to sync content between PROD and STAGE environments. However, it requires careful planning and execution to ensure data integrity and consistency.

4. **VLT Remote Copy**: VLT Remote Copy is a tool that allows you to copy content between AEM instances using the Vault command-line interface (VLT). It can be used to sync content between PROD and STAGE environments. However, it also requires careful planning and execution.

5. **Grabbit**: Grabbit is an open-source tool developed by Adobe Consulting Services (ACS) that provides content synchronization capabilities for AEM. It can be used to sync content between PROD and STAGE environments. However, it is important to evaluate its suitability for your specific use case and ensure it meets your requirements.

6. **ACS Common Content Sync**: ACS Common Content Sync is another open-source tool developed by Adobe Consulting Services (ACS) that provides content synchronization capabilities for AEM. It supports various authentication mechanisms, including username/password and OAuth. It can be used to sync content between PROD and STAGE environments, even with SSO integrations. However, it is important to evaluate its suitability for your specific use case and ensure it meets your requirements.

When choosing an approach, consider factors such as the size and complexity of your content, performance requirements, security considerations, and the level of effort required for implementation and maintenance. It is recommended to thoroughly test any solution in a non-production environment before deploying it to your production and staging environments. Additionally, consult with your AEM development team and Adobe Support for guidance and best practices specific to your environment.

Level 1

@HrishikeshKa : Grabbit is an open-source tool developed by Adobe Consulting Services (ACS)????

As per my knowledge, its by Time Warner Cable

Ref : https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/experience-manager-65/content/assets/administer/assets-mi...