Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Asset organization

Level 2

Apologies for the very generic name, the question is sort of complicated. I currently am running AEM 6.5 but hoping we will upgrade to a full DAM system and/or AEM in the cloud. Is there anything I should be keeping in mind as I write a file structure for assets? I'd like to future-proof my file system by doing anything that might be important for a cloud DAM now on basic 6.5 if it's possible. More work now, but hopefully must less work later.

I've read all the documentation for both platforms, I would love to hear any tips based on real-world usage. Thanks in advance!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Following are key considerations to bear in mind when transitioning to AEM in the cloud:

• Make sure to get rid of deprecated features
  • Plan a strategy for how you will move Assets data to the AEM cloud
  • Naming convention for folders and assets should be proper     [Optional]
  • Try to get rid of assets which are no longer required to make sure you don't migrate unnecessary data to AEM Cloud
  • Custom code should not use deprecated code and Junit (50% code coverage) should be written
  • Migration planning should start 6 months in advance.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Following are key considerations to bear in mind when transitioning to AEM in the cloud:

• Make sure to get rid of deprecated features
  • Plan a strategy for how you will move Assets data to the AEM cloud
  • Naming convention for folders and assets should be proper     [Optional]
  • Try to get rid of assets which are no longer required to make sure you don't migrate unnecessary data to AEM Cloud
  • Custom code should not use deprecated code and Junit (50% code coverage) should be written
  • Migration planning should start 6 months in advance.

Community Advisor

Aem cloud support the same Asset structure that are on aem 6.5.

however you need to keep the scope of work in mind at this time only when you move to cloud as there are some feature that are supported on on-premise and AMS but not available on cloud like smart translation search, metadata write back for renditions and many more. You might also need to consider the file name length if you are going to use dynamic media on cloud as well. You can read this document to know in advance what will be going to work on aem assets as cloud https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-cloud-service/content/assets/home.html?la...

Level 3

Make sure you create a back up of reindition

Remove the deprecated features

Name of the folder structure should be same

The node structure plan should be finalized

Migration script should be well written

To ease your work you can use groovy script

Community Advisor

Before Upgrade:

1. Make sure you removed all the unused assets from both authors and publish
  2. Make a proper plan for DAM folder structure if not any (ex: project -> country -> language -> page/category) and follow a good naming convention
  3. Try to avoid deep nesting
  4. Backup a base version

After Migrate:

1. Keep clean the unused assets
  2. Strict to the folder structure

For Code Perspective:

• Its high time to refactor your code, for architecture, since a regression test will perform
  • Remove all deprecated codes, If possible move to the latest archetype (currently 43)
  • Try to use best practice
  • Instead of hurry-up take your time to refactor, this chance will never come up again
  • Keep mindset to stay tuned with the latest update
  • Instead of a long gap update, try to adapt the latest feature frequently. Otherwise, the test and broken possibility will be high.

Hope this will help you. Thanks